Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Awesome taste of the islands

Sail Date: October 01, 2010

Absolutely amazing vacation. I'd say this is a cruise for people who don't think they'll like cruises. Having so many ports, you don't have to wonder what to do on a day at sea. Get to Puerto Rico a day early so you can spend some time on the beach near the Marriott, or La Concha and head to Old San Juan at night. Old San Juan is stunning. The ship was well maintained and our balcony stateroom was clean and neat. Our steward was excellent and knew our names on the first day and really took care of us. The food in the dining room was surprisingly good and I would compare it to a restaurant that would normally be $18-25 per entree. We did an excursion on almost every island and basically treated the boat like a floating hotel. Having a private balcony, I spent virtually no time in public areas of the boat unless it was to go for a walk on the upper balconies after dinner, or pop into the theater to see if there was anything interesting. Being a musician, I didn't have high hopes for cruise ship entertainment. Campy, family-friendly comedians and bar-band versions of 30- yr old hit songs. It was listenable and I had a few laughs.
St. Kitts - Ziplining was great and the base camp was the ruin of a very old rum distillery. Gorgeous
St. Maarten - Orient beach trip and then the French side and back to cruise ship, pay for the water taxi back to the beach and walk until the prices on beach chairs and booze starts to drop. $12 for two chairs, an umbrella, and a bucket of 5 Coronas. Love this island and want to stay here for a week.
St. Thomas - Catamaran and snorkeling. Loaded on rum punch and physical activity so I didn't see much of the island. would love to next time
St. Lucia - book an excursion, we ended up taking an expensive cab ride to an OK beach. Could have planned this island better.
Barbados - safe, cheap, amazing beach. Walking around the city was cool. Beautiful colonial archtecture. You can get private car tours. I think this was the most beautiful beach of the trip.
Dominica - More natural undeveloped island. Did the emerald pool tour. Because it's less developed the poverty is close and more evident than other islands. Naturally beautiful.
Overall, if you're interested in a relaxing trip where everything is taken care of for you, and you have more interest in the islands than the boat; you get a truly amazing trip for the money. I'd highly recommend this trip. I would even do the same cruise again.

Pros: seeing so many ports, private balcony was amazing

Cons: drink prices

Recommends Carnival Victory? Yes!

Ship was well maintained. Decor was nice enough. A little Vegas-ey
balcony is amazing.
bands were good enough to listen to. Shows were entertaining enough that i didn't walk out early.
surprisingly good. I'm a food snob and it was creative and well executed. Tom Ka Gai suop is better than at my favorite vietnamese place
room steward greeted me by name with a smile every time.