Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

"Las Vegas at Sea"

Sail Date: December 17, 2006

I swore I'd never cruise with Carnival again, after my first experience several years ago, but I caved to my daughter and her friend's pleas. I have been a travel agent for over 30 years, so am experienced, yet also not overly picky or demanding. Perhaps it's also that I really don't like Las Vegas either, but there are MUCH better cruise lines, even for the money. My biggest complaints are the tendering process (waited two hours, both getting off and back on the ship, so only spent a couple of hours actually on Grand Cayman), the garishness of the decor onboard, and the clientele. (Many people tried to butt in line during the tendering process, and several showed up in "wife-beater" t-shirts to dinners in the dining room.) If that's what you like on a cruise, this is the one for you! I also developed some sort of allergy, which caused my eyes to turn bright red, swell up (to the point I couldn't see), and crust over -- the medical staff was great, but there was obviously something on the ship (perhaps the water?) that was a problem, as I have never experienced such a reaction to anything else.

Pros: the staff and food

Cons: the decor (Las Vegas at sea), the tendering in Grand Cayman, the majority of other passengers (again, Las Vegas at sea), cleanliness of cabin

Recommends Carnival Victory? No.

Miami, Florida

Don't Miss: South Beach
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
I understand that this is an alternative to Cozumel and Cancun, but it's pretty boring, unless you just like to hang out on a beach. We would have liked to do the wave-runners, but were told my 16-year-old (who has been driving for almost a year in the states) couldn't rent one.
George Town, Grand Cayman
Okay if you like shopping and hanging out on the beach, but there wasn't enough time after tendering to do much else. My friend went scuba diving as a ship excursion and said it was disappointing, especially compared to St. Lucia. I've done Sting Ray City a million times, but is still the best thing probably to do.
Don't Miss: Sting Ray City
George Town, Grand Cayman
Don't Miss: Sting Ray City
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Lots of good things to do, including Cool Runnings cruise, Dunn's River Falls, etc.
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico