Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

I'd Wouldn't Do This Cruise Again

Sail Date: March 19, 2006

This was the first cruise for my 18 year old daughter and I on Carnival, our previous cruises were on Royal Caribbean. After reading some of the previous reviews we had some apprehension, some turned out to be true, some didnt.

Embarkation was a breeze. We showed up at the pier at 10:45 and were onboard the ship by 11:45. Our cabin wasnt ready, so we went up to the Lido deck (Deck 9) for the lunch buffet, which was OK, nothing spectacular. My daughter bought the drink card, which was a waste of money. We could have bought the cokes individually and came out ahead.

Our cabin (6393 on the upper deck) was very nice. It is a balcony stateroom, and I urge anyone to go the extra money for the balcony. Each day we ordered room service and had breakfast on the balcony. Our cabin attendant was wonderful. We never saw him in the cabin, he always knew when we were out. He knew our names after the first night and would call us by name when we would see him in the hallway.

About the ship: The ship is decorated in GREEN, but you get used to it after a while. It is not laid out very well, people were always getting lost trying to find the Pacific dining room. The internet caf was nearly impossible to find as well. Internet rates are expensive - .75 per minute, $55 for 90 minutes or $100 for 250 minutes. If you take your laptop with wireless internet card you can connect in a couple areas of the ship but not the staterooms.

The food: The food was very disappointing. RCIs is so much better. We went to the dining room every night, and were pretty much disappointed every night. The shrimp cocktail with black tiger prawns were actually 3 41-50 count shrimp. The seafood appetizer advertised to be black tiger prawns, scallops and salmon was actually 1 41-50 count shrimp, 1 scallop (small) and a small piece of smoked salmon. The lobster served on the first formal night was actually a frozen lobster tail that was tough. My daughter and I ordered two each, and her second one smelled so badly of ammonia she couldnt eat it and had to send it back. Some of the beef was good, some of it was tough, and some was just plain weird. Like the Beef Wellington that sounded good until you read it was baked in a pastry puff and topped with goose liver pate. Foie gras was also on the menu twice. Desserts were unremarkable, and I just couldnt bring myself to try the Fig and cinnamon cake with basil ice cream. That gives you an idea of the type of menu served. Drinks were also hard to come by during dinner. They give you plenty of water, but if you dont order alcohol, other beverages are a long time coming. The 24 hour pizza was very good, so was the grill at the back of Deck 9. There were only 2 midnight buffets, no chocolate buffets. For us late-nighters that was disappointing as well. Oh, dont trust the menus displayed on the TV, they were wrong more often then not.

The fun days at sea should be re-titled spending days at sea. If you dont drink, gamble, shop or dance, theres not much to do. I would much rather have spent the time in ports. But obviously thats not how the ships make their money. It feels like the cruise was one expensive shopping trip. All the activities were centered around selling you something. What we saw of the shows seemed corny.

My daughter and I have traveled extensively, and we are not hard to please. I cant say we had a bad time, we can usually have a good time no matter what. I will say that this trip did not meet our expectations. My husband and I have already booked a cruise in Dec. with RCI. In the future, I would look for more time in ports and less at sea days. I also dont think I would sail Carnival again.

Pros: Our stateroom

Cons: Lack of activities for those who don't drink or gamble

San Juan, Puerto Rico
We arrived in San Juan at about 5 pm. The crew members told us that depending on the captain, you could get into port several hours earlier. By the time we got off the ship most of the shops were closed. We did go to the Harley Davidson shop by the pier, then went to the Puerto Rico Caf for dinner, which was pretty good.
Don't Miss: None found
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
St. Thomas was pretty nice, all we did there was shop. There was a nice selection of shops right by the pier, including a Cold Stone Creamery ice cream shop. To get into town you really needed to take a taxi, about $10 for two including tip each way. Be forewarned many taxis are pick-up trucks with seats welded in the bed of the truck. We had a van going in to town but one of these pickups going back. They are hard to get in and out of. We also took the tram by the pier up the hillside and had lunch. I got some great pictures of the harbor.
Don't Miss: Cold Stone Creamery
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Don't Miss: Cold Stone Creamery
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
We rented a car on St. Martin. Do not! do not rent a car on St. Martin. We got our Jeep and drove into town where we finally found a place to park and did some shopping and got lunch at Le Escargot, a wonderful restaurant. We had escargot (awesome) and local lobster. After eating we planned to go snorkeling, so we set out of town to the west side of the island. We passed bumper to bumper traffic from the time we left town until we were passed the airport, probably about 5 or 6 miles. At this point we were concerned about getting back to the ship on time. We continued on, couldnt find any of the beaches, and ended up in Marigot, where we ran into more bumper to bumper traffic headed back to Phillipsburg. We did end up back at port about 1 hours befoe the ship left, but if we had stopped at the beach it might have been tight. There were four cruise ships in port that day that Im sure added to the congestion. We ended up paying over $100 to sit in traffic.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten