Carnival Victory Cruise Review

This was our third cruise and the first for our 12-year-old son and two others we brought along. I had many problems, particularly with cleanliness and condition of this 1-year-old ship. The elevators were in horrible condition (from the holes in the walls to the gum on the fixtures to the fact that the crew takes them over constantly and thereby forces passengers to wait for long periods).Many of the children aboard were quite unruly, and many of the adult passengers were rude as well. With the exception of the dining room staff, the crew was apathetic at best, and unhelpful as a rule. The excursions they offered were not what we wanted so we made other arrangements when we arrived in each port. Also, many things offered by Carnival were VERY expensive in relation to other cruise lines or what we did on our own - In Saint John, we were able to get a van (we're large people) to take the five of us on a 2 1/2-guided tour for about $20 per person (USD). In Halifax, we went on a three-hour whale watching tour (and did see a couple) for about $25 per person. Based on the experience we had, I don't think we'll cruise with Carnival (or her sister brands - Cunard, Holland America, Costa, etc...) again. We have had a truly great experience on Royal Caribben and Regal, and in the future will use them again, as well as trying some other lines like Princess and Celebrity. I would also like to try some of the high-end lines like Radisson, but that'll have to wait until I have more disposable income.I have put photos and more comments about my last two cruises (RCI's Sovereign of the Seas in February 2001 and Carnival Victory in August 2001) at ww.geocities.com/cruise2001a if anyone is interested.