Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Victory to Canada (early Sept, 2008)

Sail Date: September 01, 2008

My husband and I returned recently from a 7-day cruise from New York to Canada on the Carnival Victory. It was our first Carnival cruise. Our second cruise overall. First Ill say that I did NOT have a bad meal during the entire cruise. The food was uniformly delicious. There was enough variety for the pickiest of eaters. Second the accommodations were clean and the staff was friendly, and for the most part, responsive. There were, however, issues with the elevators, navigating the ship from point A to point B, and an unpleasant incident with the excursion desk manager.

Elevator service was just plain lousy. Frequently we (my husband, sister, brother-in-law, and I) had to let an elevator(s) go by before we could get on. We were younger than many of the vacationers, so we were able to use the steps, but for vacationers who used canes, walkers, and wheel chairs, they were stuck. I cannot imagine spending most of my cruise time in an elevator lobby waiting, but I imagine that many vacationers did. During debarkation, I couldnt believe the wait. It was beyond ridiculous.

I was NEVER truly able to navigate the ship successfully. It was just very confusing and it was not until the next to last day on board that I even saw a map. Perhaps if I had received a map earlier, I would have not been as lost as I was several times.

The woman who was in charge of the excursion desk (Kim) needs retraining. She was rude, unreasonable, and unaccommodating. We had booked two excursions for Halifax. The night before arriving in Halifax, while planning for the next day, we realized that there was a time overlap. We decided it would be prudent to cancel the afternoon excursion because the one thing my sister wanted to see most, the Titanic exhibition at the Maritime Museum, was a stop during the first excursion. I called the excursion desk and spoke with Kim about cancelling. After explaining our situation, a couple of times, Kim said that it might be better for you to come and see me, so my sister and I went down to the desk. The conversation in person was as unproductive as the one over the telephone. Kim told us (not suggested) repeatedly that we could do both things, we would just have to "get an early start." We reminded her that we were vacationing, were considerably older than she, and in the best position to decide what we could and could not handle. Her position was that she had paid for the bus and that it was too late for us to get a refund. We understood the problem and sympathized. Kim, however, had neither sympathy nor empathy for our situation and she made no effort whatsoever to resolve the problem. She took a take-it-or-leave-it stance. We would have been amenable to a partial refund of the cost for the second excursion, but she would have none of that. I could have placed the charge in dispute with American Express, and even after saying that to Kim, she still would not (and did not) budge. The result was that our last day we rose extremely early, participated in only a portion of the first excursion (thus effectively throwing about money), and then participated in the second excursion that was underwhelming. We finished that day totally exhausted.

This cruise began by bypassing the first dock at Boston because of the weather. For about 18 hours there were barf bags hanging in the elevator lobby(ies) and closet doors and dresser drawers that opened and closed at will. The cruise ended with a day at sea that was spent recuperating from an exhausting day in Halifax thanks to Kim.

Pros: Food

Cons: Excursion personnel

Recommends Carnival Victory? Yes!

Nice ship, confusing to navigate
Clean and a nice size. Not as large as Disney
Kim seriously pulls down the rating for this item
GREAT food, lots of variety
The cruise director is a really funny guy!!