Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Great Cruising Experience on a Budget

Sail Date: June 01, 2008

My friend and I went on this ship to Canada for four days. The ship was big, but totally sold out. When we were walking around or just sitting by the pool it didn't seem crowded, but when it came time to eat, the crowds came out. The ship was well laid out, and had everything like a spa and gym. As two single people, we didn't find that there was really a crowd for us. This is a great budget cruise for couples or families. We paid around $500 for the luding taxes.

Pros: Staff and Service

Cons: Lines and no Single People

Recommends Carnival Victory? Yes!

I don't have any kids, and for the most part didn't notice many of them on the boat. That means that the kids programs were probably doing their job when it was their job. However, kids tended to take over "Kids under Adult Supervision" hottubs like they were kiddie pools...and I didn't see any adult supervision most of the time. They did stay out of the adult only hottub. However, after hours, you could tell parents were letting their kids run wild. I had a drink spilled on me, was pushed in line several times by kids who seemed too young to me to be awake after midnight, and in general thought parents just didn't monitor their kids when the ship wasn't doing it for them.
The ship was always clean and the rooms were a decent size. My friend and I stayed comfortably there. We found the beds surprisingly comfortable, not at all like the standard issue hotel bed. The decor nice and there were plenty of ways to access the deck. One good feature was that there was a dome that could open and close over one pool so that people could still swim when it was chilly.
The food itself was okay. They did American and Italian food pretty well, but you could tell when they had an Indian Buffet that it wasn't the same standard. Lines were always long at buffets, and the service at breakfast was not very fast, but dinner service was excellent. There certainly was not a lack of food though.
Well, the shows and dancers from the ship were pretty hoaky, but the acts they brought in were good. We went to the comedy shows and the featured singer, but skipped the big vegas style productions. The piano man in the Irish Bar was noteworthy as well.
The stateroom size was pretty good. We had two twin beds, a couch and a bathroom. The two of us didn't feel cramped at all. We were on the first deck, so the motion sickness didn't really get to me. The beds were VERY comfortable.
I have to say. What Carnival lacked in luxury it made up for with the amazingly friendly and helpful staff. Our room service was excellent. He pretty much learned our routine the first day and we always came back to a clean room. Our waiter was so friendly and helpful. He even knew about the Port of Call (St. John, New Brunswick). I took a spin class at the gym that was awesome and the accupuncturist was even kind enough to let me try it just once to show me that it wasn't painful, no charge. The only place we did not find this true was the casino where dealers tended to rush us and not explain the game.