Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Extremly Disappointing

Sail Date: November 19, 2006

Traveled As: Family w/young children

The Carnival Line is what I would guess the Motel 6 of the Seas would be. I paid for Hyatt and got the Travelodge. I expected great food and what I ended up with was mass produced meals. The Buffet was the same everyday, the Seated Dinner selections were limited to 9 entrees (4 of which were the same every night). Thankfully our wait staff were nice and personable. Our room was dusty the TV had thick dust under it, that we noticed when we used the swivel to turn it. The Balcony had food stuck to the railing and glass on day 1. It was lightly cleaned. The furniture had melon seeds stuck to it from day 1 to day 7 of our cruise and I truly believe that whomever is in the cabin still has them stuck there.

Pros: Camp Carnival, The Drinking Water, the Ships Stability

Cons: Food, Service, Lack of Cleaning

Recommends Carnival Victory? No.

Things were accessible but the cleanliness was only superficial. I encountered on numerous occasions chipped glassware in the Mediterranean Dining area which is a definate health concern.
Our Stateroom was on the Veranda Deck 8 -The balcony was dirty had food particles, The deck floor of the balcony was sticky and soiled. The room itself had not had a real cleaning in God knows how long. The TV had so much dust underneath that you could probably make a stuffed animal with it. My stateroom was directly across from the Laundry Room (for guest) and was kept open 24 hrs. One night I had to call security so the Drunk and Loud people doing Laundry would quite down it was 1:30 AM and I was traveling with 2 children.
I was disappointed in the food. The quality was not what I expected. I have always heard people say how great the food is on a cruise. Carnival Victory seemed to be more interested in Quantity vs. Quality. I expect Quality. Eating is not a pass time for us and I was not looking to eat everything in site, just to have nicely prepared meals.
Some of the staff was very friendly and helpful. When I complained about the Laundry I was spoken to in a condescending matter I was told by someone at the Pursers desk that "What can we do if people are loud while they do the laundry, we are not here to give people manners" I was taken aback by the comment in which I responded "I am on vacation, I am not sleeping in a bar or lounge, and it's 1:30 AM is not the time to do laundry and carry on in a corridor". I was given 4 comp. drink vouchers worth 4.25 each (a beer).
They had some shows the were ok, but the Camp was fun for the kids. We spent extra time at sea due to bad weather so I would have been hard for the crew to keep everyone happy, I would be unfair of me to be harsh due to the circumstances.
My 12 and 8 year olds after protest enjoyed the camp carnival. They could socialize with kids from their own age group. The had a teen and pre-teen disco till 10:45 PM and slumber party for 5-8 year olds (10 PM - 1 AM). Babysitting in the evening up to 3:30 AM is only $6.00 per hour which is great and they would drop your child off at your stateroom.
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
Costa Maya is a new port so a real Tourist Trap. Haggle away. I was again disappointed with the Silver selection but did purchase some pretty good stuff. We did the Chacoben 4 HR. tour. Our tour guide was extremely informative and we had a good time.
Don't Miss: Go to Chacobe and see the ruins.
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Our excursion for this port was cancelled due to bad weather. The day was not bad we did some shopping in the local Duty Free shop I did well @ 1 jewelry store. Purchased designer jewely @ over 20% off. We had lunch @ JB Margaritaville.
Miami, Florida
The port that Carnival uses is horrible. No A/C when you go thru customs or pick up your luggage. The shuttle buses are in the lot in the sun, if it would have been raining everyone would have been wet. The terminal itself was dingy and dirty like an old abandoned warehouse. Luggage handlers where so scarce I would have paid $20 for one to take my 3 bags and 3 carryons. Horrendous would be the word for the terminal totally chaotic. Miami Int'nl Airport is one of the WORST airports in AMERICA - the gates are so far in the same building 3X I've traveled thru MIA and hopefully the LAST