Carnival Victory Cruise Review to Panama Canal, Central America

Not what I would have hoped

Sail Date: October 01, 2006

I have only been on one other cruise line so I admit I am tainted in my review. The other ship was Disney's Wonder. I went with my friend and parents who are platinum on the ship so we skipped the line for checking in. Boy am I thankful for that, seeing how people were hearded in lines just seemed like agony. We waited for quite a long time waiting just to get on the ship in the afternoon as it was not yet ready for guests (we were told it was not an issue of clearing and it had been in for some time) The ship came down from New York and was empty and was due to depart at 7:00pm. We didn't actually leave until closer to 8:30. Disembarking again seemed disorderly and I was again thankful for the platinum treatment to be first off.

Pros: Other Guests on board

Cons: The service in the dining room

It's GREEN...Think Emerald City here. Everything when you first walk in is in a shade of green, overwhelmingly so. The atrium though comfortable, seemed rather odd when looking up as you could see service ladders and such.
The Dining staff was terrible, two nights in a row I had nothing to chill my wine in, and my water glas was regularly empty without any refill until 2 courses later. Little conversation from our assistant server, and when ordering room service they had no idea what the food was like.
Our restaurant was in an ackward position on the ship, you had to go up to the prominade deck to the rear of the ship and then back down two floors in order to enter the dining room. The position of the Pacific Dining room makes the vibration of the props very noticable especially on sea days when cruising at top speeds. The food was not what I had expected in comparison to previous experiences and what my friends had told me to expect. I'd agree in saying it's average restaurant quality, just with flare in the presentation.
The rooms were of nice size, Disney of course has the lot on the business for size so I wasn't surprised when the balcony room was smaller than the balconies there. The housekeeping staff did a wonderful job having to deal with 4 young adults between 18-21.
There were activities to do on the ship yes, but the idea that there are a million things to be doing at any giving point? Not quite. Unless you count a million rays of sun to be catching on deck. I found myself with little else to do but go into the casino out of bordom.