First time cruisers

Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Carnival Valor

5 Night Western Caribbean (New Orleans Roundtrip)

Sail date: February 29, 2020

Ship: Carnival Valor

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

We got a little bored by the end. Would like to see the Quest Scavenger hunt offered more than once. The casino was a joke. Only people winning were those spending thousands. 30 cent win on a $5 bet? Seriously?

Embarkation

Well-oiled machine! I was expecting chaos, but the entire process was smooth. So many workers, between border officials and cruise employees, helped keep the line moving efficiently.

Ship experiences

MDR was nice, buffet was not what we were expecting. The food was mediocre. The specialty restaurants were great (Guy’s, Blue Iguana, Seafood Shack, Pizza Pirate). The service throughout was incredible.

Pizzeria

Yum and fast

Lindy Hop Piano Bar

Misso was fantastic! Best time we had

Alchemy Bar

Great drinks, needs to be bigger

Enjoyed the trivia, piano bar. Lounging on deck was nice, pool was nice. Comedy club was not that great, musical acts were ok. Serenity Club was nice. Bars were crowded of course, but service was good.

Shogun Club Casino

I’d they paid out better at first, people would probably still keep going. We got tiny payouts. 30 cents on a max bet of $5? Really?? Rarely did I even win back the amount I bet on that spin. I saw people winning more money and more often on 40 cent bets, and I was playing max bet. You couldn’t even play a little while, lost money so fast. If I’m constantly losing, I’m not playing anymore.

Serenity

Area was nice, should have a smoking section. Bartender (didn’t get name) acted like we were a bother (ordered 2 beers and a bottle of water).

No children

always received excellent service. We did notice, however, that if you did not tip extra (we paid for the drink package which already had an 18% gratuity), we weren’t treated as quickly as those who were tipping extra. They were still nice though. Room steward was nice, attentive, however he did not bring us a couple of things we asked for.

I was amazed at how clean the ship was. The bathrooms particularly. Occasionally there was a sewage smell, but not often. There was always someone cleaning something, somewhere. Could have used more ashtrays in the smoking areas.

The cabin was larger than I expected (ocean view). Plenty of room to walk around. Loud children next door, but that wasn’t Carnival’s fault.

Ship tip

Get the hub app, it helped us TREMENDOUSLY. The WiFi and messaging part of hub app were spotty.

Ports of call

New Orleans, Louisiana

Progreso (Merida), Mexico Did not visit port

Heard it was a dump, would rather have spent 2 days in Cozumel.

Disembarkation

I was expecting chaos, but again, it moved like a well-oiled machine. So fast, in fact, it was difficult to stopLong enough to access our documents. We did express debarkation (carried our own bags) and were one of the first floors to disembark.

1 Comment