Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Wheelchair users - ship could use some improvement

Sail Date: September 25, 2016

Reviewed: 22 days ago

Firstly, this cruise was fun. I had a great time with the ports or call and the traveling fun.

Being a wheelchair user, there could be some improvement - firstly, I am independent in the use of my chair, however I was seated at the Your Time Dining in the dining room at a table in which I was tripped over and bumped into over 7 times per meal. I finally refused to be seated where the server wished me to be for that reason. I had to transfer out of my chair in order to finally be seated at a safe place for me to eat.

I went to Scarlett’s Steakhouse, where the dining room was nearly impossible for me to navigate through without bumping into everything. At Rose’s Restaurant, the buffet’s height was too high for me to see what was being served. The bathrooms are extremely difficult to get in and out of and it is hard to find a handicapped bathroom, and if you can, navigate through the tiny space to get the chair into the bathroom. Then in order to leave you have to go BACKWARDS in the bathroom to get out. Really?

The chairs by the pool are too close together to get be able to comfortably get to one without having everyone sit up and them move the chairs out of the way. I couldn’t even get out of the chair without help – so even though I am able to transfer out of my chair – those chairs make it very difficult. The only chairs that were comfortable were the ones in the smokers section on deck 10 starboard/ 3 starboard.

It was very hard to get a handicapped room, I couldn’t find one available when I booked the cruise nearly 8 months in advance.

The wait staff did not smile often and appeared quite stressed. One even through down his paper note that he received from another wait staff person, in disgust and anger. At one meal, I wasn’t even asked what I wanted to drink and had to ask 20 minutes later when I saw them again.

Though I had fun, I had challenges that I thought such a large company would have addressed by now. Might try a different cruise line to see how their set up may be.

Our housekeeping staff were very kind and smiling all the time.