Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

First time on a Carnival Cruise

Sail Date: April 02, 2016

This was my 3rd cruise, but my first on Carnival.  I had heard some mixed reviews of Carnival, but the price and itinerary were right, so I decided to take a chance.  I wasn't really disappointed.  We had a great vacation.  The ship was gorgeous but really packed -- it was Spring Break for a lot of people, so kind of as I expected.  And I think a vacation is what you make it.  Nothing about this vacation kept us from having a wonderful time.

Pros - As I stated, the ship was beautiful and from what I could tell, well-maintained.  Our cabin was nice and all of the crew that I interacted with were very friendly and helpful.  I felt like there was a good variety of entertainment on board.  We enjoyed many movies at night on the pool deck. I loved our ports -- Belize, Roatan and Cozumel.  We were delayed due to a medical emergency on the previous cruise and I felt that Carnival did an excellent job communicating with us and providing discounts/concessions for delaying our cruise and changing the itinerary a bit.  The boarding process at each port went really smoothly every time.

Cons - We definitely had a problem with finding loungers on sea days.  They would get reserved first thing in the morning.  That was irritating and I never saw a Carnival person overseeing any of that.  I was disappointed overall with the food.  There was nothing that I had at the buffet or the in the main dining room that I felt was really great.  It seemed pretty bland to me.  Also, we had the soda package.  Unlike Royal Caribbean where they have soda machines on the ship that you can get your own refills on, on Carnival we had to go to the bar and wait every time we wanted a soda. Then we only got a glass full.  That was annoying.

Overall -- Because of the discount we received for a future cruise (from the delay in our cruise getting started), I will use that to go on another Carnival Cruise.   Otherwise, I will probably go back to Royal Caribbean or another cruise line -- not Disney, can't afford that anymore.  I just think you get what you pay for with Carnival.

The cabin was really nice
We booked our own excursions
Food was always disappointing