Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Had a Great TIme!

Sail Date: May 01, 2013

This was our fourth cruise with carnival\, all on different ships\, and I would have to say that Valor was the most beautiful ship of all. The lighting on the heroes displayed on the walls was spectacular looking down from the top floor.

Pros: Loved the ports\, one day at sea at the beginning of the cruise and balcony room

Cons: Did not have the feel that I was on a cruise to the caribbean like the other caribbean cruises with carnival

Recommends Carnival Valor? Yes!

The layout of the ship was confusing to me and it took a couple of days to figure out which directions would be shorter from our stateroom to different areas of the ship. Loved the day at sea being the second day instead of last because gave me time to learn the layout and explore the ship. All the public areas were clean. Saw several areas where maintenance was conducted but did not interfere with the flow of activities on the ship.
We ate dinner in the Washington Dining room every night. I dont get a chance to dress up and go to dinner often at home so I always think that it is a neat change. We had the 6 oclock dinner time which worked well for us. The food was okay\, nothing that I would consider spectacular that I ate but did try to be adventurous. I like that the menu offered things that normal people would not eat every day in case they wanted to try different food but also had a comfort menu for those who did not want to step out of the box and try new things. We had lunch and breakfast most mornings in the restaurant on the lido deck which offered a variety of items and was fast. A couple of mornings we ate in the dining room\, when we did not have morning tours. It took longer since the items on the menu were cooked to order. We did not try the specialties restaurant on this cruise.
We had a balcony for the first time on this cruise. LOVED IT! When I booked it I thought it would be a waste of money because we normally do not spend much time in the room\, except in the evenings. We still enjoyed the islands during the day or activities on the ship but in the evenings before bed I loved sitting on the deck as we headed to the next destination. Also loved it when we were pulling in and out of ports. Did not have to go to the top deck to watch. Our room was located mid-ship not far from the elevators. At first I thought it would be noisy but it was not at all. We had 3 people in our room but it was adequate for the little time we spent in it.
The ship staff was excellent. I was greeted every morning by stewards as I exited my room. I had to go to guess services a couple of times and they were very friendly and tried to help out the best they could. Our steward worked hard keeping our room tidy and clean. Loved the waiters in the dining room. They were willing to please in whatever we asked of them.
The ship seemed to have some sort of entertainment throughout the day for all age groups and varying interests. There were things that I didnt care for but others seemed to enjoy it. Sometimes I felt that there were too many things going on in the evenings and we had to choose what we wanted to do since the timing overlapped. Had to plan the evenings carefully to make sure we got everything in. The evening entertainment in the theater was okay. I personally liked when the dancers performed the most. There was not much reggae music on this cruise like the other Caribbean cruises with carnival\, unless I missed it. Every time I was on deck\, which was often\, they had a DJ or band playing the top 40 or Latin music. The reggae music made me feel that I was in the Caribbean. Enjoyed karaoke in the evenings and even had a chance to sing with the house band one night. Also had a chance to be in the Legends show\, great way to involve passengers in entertainment.