Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Great Vacation, beautiful islands and great people

Sail Date: August 18, 2013

Valor is a beautiful ship, the islands are so different from each other it keeps it interesting and the staff was excellent, the food great and the weather perfect.
We had some trepidation about booking in the month of August with Hurricane Season and all but besides a short rain shower early in the am, the weather was great.
My wish if I had one was that they would tone down the LATINO focus on this ship.
They have several LATINO mini concerts, a LATINO deck party and the dual announcements in english and spanish get old.
I get it that we were sailing from Puerto Rico and all but when a ship sails from Los Angeles to Mexico we get Caribean music and Caribean deck parties with Carnival??
Lines for Lido Buffets were not bad at all and the entertainment good. Not a lot for kids to do after 8pm other than Camp Carnival but they are older now and want to hang with us...Also I several cruises were asking why Carnival doesnt put a regular play area somewhere on the ship for little kids if they dont want to get wet?
You know, slides, or climbing things of some sort.

I wish there was a bit more time at each island. We typically were off by 8 and had to be back at 4 or so....maybe if the ship could stay until around sunset at 6 or even 7. I heard several cruisers say they made it back by the skin of their teeth on Carnival scheduled tours!! So a little more port time.

Embarkation and getting off the ship were both fairly quick and easy.
The staff onboard were all helpful and none had that bored, "been here too long" attitude" you see so many times on cruise ships these days. My wish after talking with crew members would be to rotate them more often so they get more time at home and give them more shore time and rest. They all work so hard and love their jobs but that is a wish from most of them.....

Overall, we take this cruise again and both of us AND the 11-7 and 5 year old all had fun.
tone down the whole spanish focus
too expensive onboard ship, we bought on the pier

On a ship this large go to the back of Rosies on Lido for drink machines, no one is ever there and there's no line!!!

We were able to get short 1 hr island tours for $60.00 for five of us on the pier since Carnival wanted $75-$99.00 PER PERSON!!!