Same old, same old

Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

8 Night Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)
Sail Date: April 14, 2012
Ship: Carnival Valor
Very clean ship & well maintained. As with most ships, getting from aft to forward involved going up or down a floor from the dining room. I traveled with a wheelchair bound traveler. Going over some of the high thresholds was an inconvenience. (Had to go backwards - and with heavy people volume, it proved challenging and annoying). During sea-days, finding loungechairs proved very difficult. People would reserve early in morning with a towel and a book and staff would not do anything about that. Getting on and off gangways at ports of call were also very difficult with wheelchair. Staff had to assist.
Ship staff were very accommodating and friendly, but many had difficulty understanding English and I had difficulty understanding them. (see additional comments below)

I found the dinner menus somewhat limited, in comparison to previous cruises. Additionally, with my food allergies, I found that many of the dishes had components of things I was allergic to and further restricted my selections (like fish and nuts). I was compelled to select from theri "comfort menu" of everyday selections and after a few bites sent it back. There was plenty of food to select from throughout the day, so for sure, I did not starve! In fact I gained 8 pounds! I also found the buffet selections paled to other cruises. Food was cold and long lines with some rude guests cutting the lines. Lobster tails was the best selection of the week.

Bingo, dumb game shows, stupid ship on a stick prizes, and the same stuff on each and every cruise. My 6th Carnival cruise... I'd rather watch TV, except i wouldn't see all the pretty girls in their hot outfits! Second time on Valor and exactly the same performers with mostly the same acts (albeit good). With a port of call skipped due to weather, I found no added activities. No lounges available, except on windblown upper levels.

Overall, staff were fabulous... helpful, courteous, friendly. At each port staff would assist me with getting my wheelchair-bound companion up the gangplank. Hostess Dewi ??? was particulary accommodating.

Ship was large. It had about 3200 guests onboard. Second time on this ship and the layout was fine, except for the having to go to a different floor to access forward and aft locations. Also some high thresholds making wheelchair mobility difficult.

Plenty of room, drawer and closet space. Beds were super comfy, however, due to a feather allergy, I specifically asked the room stewart if there were feather comforters on the bed (from my past experiences), he outright denied that there were. I repeated myself to make sure he understood and explained that I had an allergy and in the past had to have duvets removed and blankets to replace them. He denied it. It took about five days to be affected, but I began to wheeze and get very itchy eyes, which turned into a full-blown allergy attack. At which point I saw small feathers flying in the air. I called the housekeeping supervisor and he confirmed there WERE feather duvets. I had them replace and the rest of the stay was better. Showers started off great, but at some point, the showerhead began to leak and not spray. I called maintenance to tell them that it was "messed up". They promised to fix it. When I returned it wasn't. They said they looked at it and it wasn't missing!

Pros: cabin location

Cons: menus

Recommends Carnival Valor? Yes!