Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

I will never sail Carnival again.

Sail Date: June 26, 2011

Overall, I thought the ship was very tacky. All of the colors were overbearing and obnoxious. I was not impressed. On top of not being very pretty to look at, the variety of things to do on the ship was very limited. I felt that often there was only one event going on and if you didn't like it, there was nothing to do but go swimming. I've been on cruises before that always gives people a lot of options. On top of not having anything to do, there were times when there were no food options either. So there was nothing fun going on and there was nothing to eat. I would think that basically a floating town would have something for everyone. Unlike all my other cruises, I was very disappointed with this one.

Pros: The only good thing about this ship was the time I was able to spend with my family because there really was no other option.

Cons: The absolute worst part of the cruise was the serve was horrible and yet we were still expected to spend more money.

Recommends Carnival Valor? No.

I met a few key people that were amazing and nice. Namely, one Ukrainian bartender. However, our dining hall servers did not care to get to know our preferences, barely talked to us, and often acted like they were too busy to engage us. The staff performances in the dining hall was incredibly tacky and obnoxious. I was actually slightly embarrassed. There is a difference between fun and sloppy.
What entertainment and activities? Our options were watch a movie on a huge screen, on a deck that was incredibly loud because not everyone was watching the movie, or pay to do some other activity on the ship like bingo or laser tag. These really arent options, they busy work designed to make it seem like there is a lot to do, when really, there isnt. Even the entertainment was unimpressive. The 80s show was fun but the performers could have been better practiced and the shows could have ranged in variety. The only good things were the comedians, which ended up being the only thing we did after dinner because the club was so boring! The adult comedy shows were great!
The decor was ridiculous! It was so brightly colored it hurt my eyes. It was a small ship with too many confusing directions. Often you would try and get somewhere and have to go up a flight to find what you were looking for. The public places were always crowded with the only escape being the Serenity area. Even then, children were often brought up to annoy their parents, which really just annoyed the rest of us enjoying the quiet.
The dining time was the only good thing about. The food, however, got very boring very quickly, I felt by the end of the week, that everything tasted the same. The desserts became less interesting as the week went on and became more like something you would find packaged at a convenience store. I was completely shocked that the buffet had the same food as the dining room. I thought that having two different options meant that they would be just that: two DIFFERENT OPTIONS. Instead, there was a whole lot of very uninteresting repetitive food. It was also thoroughly frustrating that there would be times where no food was served anywhere. In my experience, the buffet is kept open late and doesn't close down during the day for breaks. That was incredibly disappoint that when were had nothing else to do, which was a majority of the time, we couldn't even eat!
We loved the window and the couch. It was a great size room. Our attendant was very nice and helpful. However, the TV was disappointing. There would just be commercial after commercial even on the channels that were supposed to be playing the movies. On top of that, the only was to tell time in the room was to turn the TV on.
Best stop. The shops gave you shots of tequila if you bought something. Very Americanized. Taxi's were very expensive to head to the shopping area.
George Town, Grand Cayman
The beaches are all far from the port, and require a taxi. Their beer is good but there really isn't a must see. Hell was an interesting formation but rather tacky.
Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
We got dropped off on the far side of the island even though we had been told we'd actually finally be within walking distance to a beach! We weren't. The taxi rides are expensive. The best part was sitting in a bar on a dock, drinking $2 beers and spending time with my family. We went for a walk looking for some kind of shopping but there wasn't anything but guarded banks and stray dogs. Best place to buy alcohol off the ship though.