Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Great experience!

Sail Date: July 10, 2011

Room Type: Suite

Overall we were very happy with the ship.

Pros: Room accommodations were great. Staff was great. Ship was very clean. Food was quite good.

Cons: Shore excursions seem to get more and more expensive. The musical entertainment was so-so. They need to play other types of music other than island music at the pool. That music sounds all the same after a while so they need to mix it up.

Recommends Carnival Valor? Yes!

Carnival provides a decent array of shipboard activities. With the ships not being as big, they don't have all the fancy extras on the larger Royal Caribbean ships, but still plenty of activities in my opinion. The one area for improvement is the quality of the musical entertainment. My family enjoys good music and it was hard to find enough of it on board the ship.
I would consider the ship size to be normal. It obviously is not as big as many of the newer Royal Caribbean ships, but I would say this ship was the cleanest ship I have been on out of 7 cruises. The public areas were kept up very nice especially the public bathrooms. One recommendation to Carnival is to address the slippery deck area near the pool. I saw so many people slip and fall. They tried to have a staff member constantly brushing/mopping the water up but it just wasn't enough.
Food quality was quite good. I have been on 2 Carnival cruises and I have enjoyed their food over Royal Caribbean (4 cruises) and Celebrity (1 cruise). We did not dine at the specialty steakhouse.
Stayed in a regular suite for the first time. Room size was great and the room was kept very clean.
Our room steward kept our rooms clean. The dining room staff was great 6 out of the 7 dinners (we used My Time Dining and one night we got a bad waiter).
Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan is a great place, especially for a great place to find a beach that you can walk right into a coral reef for great snorkeling.
Belize City, Belize
I have heard it is great for scuba/snorkeling but I didn't get to do that this time. We though about going to the zoo but it was a $150 cab ride (60+ mile round trip) for 6 people and then you had to pay to get into the zoo.
I have been to Cozumel several times. During our cab ride to our excursion, I noticed that the streets seemed quite clean. In general it has good beaches and very clear water for snorkeling (not as good as Roatan in my opinion). It also has a wide variety of shore excursions to choose from.