Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Declare Everything

Sail Date: May 29, 2011

The ship was very nice and clean, nearly identical layout as the "Liberty" with a different theme.

Pros: Away from work for a week

Cons: Medical services on the ship were absolutely terrible (Dr. was good)

Recommends Carnival Valor? Yes!

Attended the dining room only once the whole trip, we ate at the other food lines throughout the ship instead. The one evening we did attend was first "Formal" dinner and were not impressed, another couple had been seated at our table the evening before so when we went to dinner the next night we found them at our table again and were surprised when the couple believed we should relocate, even though they had just sat down and waiter had not even reached them. (Staff should not have let them sit at someone else's table the first night)
Room was clean and adequate, one of the cushiions to the couch was missing the cover so was only a foam pad on the couch. Steward was very apologetic and fixed withn 12 hours, stated that the covers were cleaned and that one had not been replaced yet.
The staff: Steward was great, always right there to help if/when we needed
Guest Services was very difficult to deal with the exception of one person
Medical staff Dr was good the nursing personell could dispense motion sickness medications, anything beyond that was better left to children.

I broke my foot during an excursion and chose to return to the ship for medical, waited for over an hour in waiting room to have a nurse ask if I needed ice to place on my obviously broken foot. The next hour and a half was spent waiting to be seen (4-5 people ahead fo me most serious was food poisoning no vomiting though)when finally seen Dr did good job but needed X-Rays, nurses argued as to who would take them, found out, why, neither one knew how to operate the machine and had to read each step as doing it to actually take the x-rays. When Dr asked if I wanted a nurse to apply a cast, I refused and she was none to surprised and applied the cast herself.
George Town, Grand Cayman
Stingray City was good
Shops were what you would expect at every port, suggest to stick to the shops that are on the guide unless you want to be hounded and pressured to purchase somethng.