Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Great time, beautiful weather.

Sail Date: February 13, 2011

The ship itself was very clean and I am talking spotless. My girlfriend and I even had an opportunity to review the kitchen of the ship one of the days that we were at sea and let me tell you it was stainless steel and immaculate. The hallways were kept clean, dining areas, staff is constantly mopping, sweeping, vacuuming, and keeping the ship in immaculate condition. The ship is very large, 12 decks but very simple to navigate. Overall the staff does a good job of keeping the people spread out during embarkation, so that the hallways were never overly crowded or there weren't areas of the ship that were inaccessible.

Pros: The kindness and manors of the staff.

Cons: The portions of the dining room.

Recommends Carnival Valor? Yes!

The quality of the good however the portions were fairly small. I found myself having to order at least 2 appetizers every night to get my fill. This was also the case with some of the entrees. However, the staff was more than happy to bring you several appetizers/entrees every night. Variety was great, ambiance as well. And with two different seatings at both 6 and 8 PM, you had the option to eat early or late.
Fantastic. Immaculate. Well kept. Not too big, not too small.
Size was perfect for two average size adults. Two twin beds pushed together to form a queen size bed worked out great, we had plenty of room to sleep. Hot water in the shower was a little spotty in the beginning of the cruise but it worked itself out once we were at sea after a day or two.
Very friendly staff, always willing to help you out, smiling you, welcoming you, greeting you, you name it. If you wanted something that they already hadn't taken the liberty to do for you, the were more than welcome to do so.
Plenty of activities spreadout throughout the day. Some were family oriented and some were adult oriented. Comedians proved to be the biggest hit as it was very difficult to get a seat in the eagle's lounge if you didn't get there at least a half an hour early. Shows in the theater proved almost equally as difficult to get seating however, there was more seating so it made it easier to facilitate.
George Town, Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman probably has the best variety of shops out of all of the islands. It also has a wide variety of entertainment bars/clubs. Margaritaville was a huge hit with the girlfriend and I. I did notice that in Grand Cayman as compared to the other islands we visted, we felt more comfortable and less pressured by the often times "shifty" islanders. In other words we felt safe.
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
When we pulled into port, there was an abandoned ship in the water that looked like it had been there 100+ years. The water wasn't crystal clear like you would expect for a carribean island. There was however a Fat Tuesday's which made for good entertainment and a fairly decent variety of shops. They had a Harley Davidson shop for anyone who is a Harley Davidson enthusiast. The water was dirty, all sorts of stuff floating around in palm leaves or something of that nature. By no means do I mean that there was garbage floating by you when you were swimming, but the bottom of the water past 50 feet out felt like you were standing in a lake that had trees surrounding it and shed there leaves in the water all fall.
Don't Miss: The water.
Belize City, Belize
This was by far the best island of the 4 we visited. The port itself isn't anything to write home about. They had two bars, one of which was busier than the other. You could write in crayon on the walls, the whole place was literally literred with grafity that tourists had written. Drinks were overpriced and the service was slow. I think the place was called the lazy lizard or something of that nature. So having not booked an excursion on the ship or through orbitz shore excursions program we were itching to get on one since our grand cayman stingray and snorkel adventure was cancelled due to rough seas. We we ended up paying $50 to go snorkeling and spend the rest of the day at an island where rum punch would be provided until it ran out. Boy let me tell you, the tour guide guy was very informative and if he hadn't already told us everything we wanted to know about Belize he was more than happy to answer our questions to the best of his ability. Island was beautiful!
Don't Miss: I wouldn't go outside of the tourist port area.
Fat Tuesday's was a good time. Depending on the port you pull into, do yourself a favor and walk outside of it as there is another port area either to your right or to your left again depending on where you dock. In one of the shops they were selling Corona's or dos equis for $1 a piece. No brainer if you ask me. There is also a 7 eleven across the st. where you can buy beer for $1 american and a liquor store. If your trying to get liquore back on the ship, the liquor store is your place to get it. We bought two sprite bottles and filled them with rum. If you shake vodka or rum it fizzes, the lady who worked there informed us this is often times how they check to see if your bringing liquore on the ship. Sprite also fizzes when you shake it, make a note of that.