Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Nice Cruise

Sail Date: November 01, 2010

Traveled As: Family w/young children

It was my first cruise and I took my wife and two girls ages 6 and 8, for a week through the caribbean, we went to Grand cayman, Cozumel and Belize, we did not make it to Roatan due to high winds. I would rate it a 7 out of 10, but a nice value though. For my first cruise I was satisfied, but still think they could have made little things to improve the experience. The stability sistem of the ship was not very good, since the ship rocked quite a lot, the water from the pools moved so much that at times it looked like a wave pool.
Two days after leaving the ship I felt the movement and felt dizzy. Of course it was the weather, high winds and waves, but still, some people told me that in other cruises the movement is not felt like that.

Recommends Carnival Valor? Yes!

The food was not excellent but was not bad neither. Breakfast was nice, with many omelet stations and anything you could want, unfortunately I love french toast and the ones on the ship were the worst I ever had, even in Dennys they make better than this, but the rest of the breakfast offerings were good. The Lincoln and Washington restaurants offered the high quality meals, but they lacked finesse in their offerings, They offered a nice lobster, but the shrimp was undercooked, you have to understand that they have to serve about a thousand meals simultaneously and that is not easy. I loved the fish and chips restaurant in the buffet section, the deli was awful, the burrito shop was nicer. There is a grill with hot dogs and burgers, which was good and a pizza parlor that also delivered a nice pizza.
All the meals are under asian cooks directed by an Indian Cheff, this might be the reason for an unconventional approach of the food preparation and finish. Overall it was good.
Shows were nice, not high quality, but you could understand, it is just to make you pass time, with more effort they could make you enjoy it, but it seems that their budget is limited.
My two girls just attended camp carnival once, the youngest loved it, the older one did not. Basically it is like a day care for kids so you can relax for a while. They do put some effort which can be appreciated.
The waiters were very nice, and the restaurant areas were full with workers cleaning and removing anything from tables to make them ready for other passengers, spills were cleaned inmediately. The rest of the staff was not that good, except the reception and main desk clerks which were very nice and couteous, Goose, the cruise coordinator was all protocol and not very helpfull at all, what a shame, he could have made a great difference, he did not care.
The ship is huge it accomodates more than 2900 passengers in 13 decks, it was very well maintained and clean, even though with so many passengers it is a very hard job. The common decks are very nice specially the lobby deck, but there are design flows that require you to get to a different deck to get accross the ship. In general it is a nice ship. Pools were very small and use sea water, the water slide is very nice, my kids loved it. The ship has a gym which is quite small, but was never full, a running track, which was also small, it requires nine full laps for a mile. There were not enough sun chairs, they were always taken, you have to get there very early.
The rooms a little bit small, a little bit too cramp for my taste. But they offered nice mattresses and bathrobes. Very clean and with enough space, specially if you are a couple, for four people it is just not enough, and that was my case.
Air conditioning worked well and there was a nice smell. Every night they put some details, towel animals and mint chocolates and a brochure of the activities for the next day.