Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

We had so much FUN!

Sail Date: June 13, 2010

My wife and I recently vacationed aboard the Carnival Valor. Our seven night cruise stopped in Grand Cayman, Honduras, Belize, and Mexico. This was our second cruise with Carnival, and because we enjoyed the first one so much, we had high expectations for this cruise as well. We werent disappointed. It was a fantastic experience.
The service on board the ship is probably the best part. We had a fabulous time on the cruise both on and off the ship. If you are hesitant about taking a cruise, its likely because you havent tried it. For my money, its the best value of a vacation experience that you can have.

Pros: excellent service, 4 countries in 7 days, great food, plenty of great entertainment

Recommends Carnival Valor? Yes!

At times I questioned the layout of the ship. You often have to go up or down several floors to go from one end of the ship to the other. And, the decor is a bit of a hot-mess in my opinion. It's a patriotic theme (U.S.) and it features a lot of plastic gold eagles, president's faces, stars and stripes, etc... This, coupled with the casino-like carpet, were a little odd to me. My wife described it as looking like Memorial Day threw up on the ship. However, the ship was in good working condition and always very clean.
Our stateroom was always perfect. It was serviced during the day when we were out having fun in the sun, and then turndown service was provided while we were at dinner. We never even saw the staff members that serviced our cabin. It was almost like the room magically cleaned itself every time we left for a few minutes.
The service on board the ship is probably the best part. As on many cruise ships, the staff was a menagerie of dozens of nationalities. I loved hearing all the different accents and seeing where they were from (its printed on their nametag). Everyone was extremely polite and helpful. Many remembered our names and used them by the second day of the cruise.
The entertainment was very good. The ship offers a main attraction every evening such as a musical show, comedian, magician, or even a juggler. The Carnival singers and dancers were all good, and a few noticeably stood out as extremely talented. The shows were great. We watched the main show every evening and I enjoyed them all immensely. If youre expecting a Broadway show, 1) you shouldnt expect that and 2) it will not be that caliber of a performance, but it was way better than any show you would find in a theme park or local venue. In addition to the show, there is always something going on around the ship. If you get bored, its your own fault. There are plenty of opportunities for entertainment.
We had dozens of choices for every meal. The buffet style meals on one of the top decks provided a fairly good quality meal starting with breakfast and ending with a late night buffet. You can choose from a deli line, a burrito bar, pizza by the slice, 24-hour ice-cream, burgers and hotdogs, or dozens of international offerings. Everything I tasted was pretty decent on the level of a meal at Dennys, Lubys, Applebees, or some other casual dining restaurant. However, the food offered in the main dining room was absolutely excellent! Everything I had in there was way above average, and could rival meals at many of the nicer restaurants that I have been to. The dining room staff was very attentive and efficient, and provided service that would rival most upscale restaurants. (They also perform for you in the dining room at dinner time singing and dancing.)
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Don't Miss: Tabyana Beach... maybe the best beach I've been to.
Belize City, Belize
we loved the cave-tubing through the underground river
Don't Miss: watch for the monkeys that live in the wild
George Town, Grand Cayman
beautiful place... some of the best crystal-clear water that I have ever been in