Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Good overall value

Sail Date: November 19, 2006

The theme of this ship is Heroes and Heroism. And the decorations carry throughout the ship. I would say that the one word summary is GRAND. I personally liked most of it (except the murals on the stairs between decks - UGLY). My husband on the other hand said that the decor/theme made new ship look old and battered.
The best thing about public places is that even though the ship was fully booked you didn't feel it most of the time.
There are PLENTY of chairs on Lido deck and up for relaxing in. Of course the ones close to the pools and stage are taken first, but there are plenty more further out, we never had to scramble for one.
There are variety of bars/lounges on the ship. We frequented the Bronx Bar (my husband is a sports junkie), Lindy Hop and Jeannie's wine bar. Bronx is a typical sports bar - tons of TVs and loud sports fans. Lindy Hop is a piano bar - Ron Pass as a piano genious and sing alongs every night (you have to try it!). Jeannie's wine bar is just what it is, but they serve "Martini of the day" from 5 to 8 and it is half price!
We do not gamble, so we went through casino only in passing and both found it EXTREMELY cramped - if you are not bumping into people, then you are bumping into tables, slots, etc.
Ivanhoe Theater had plenty of seating and nice variety of it (chairs, lounges, tables, etc). We were always on 3rd level and could see and hear everything.

Pros: Entertainment, lunch food options

Cons: Dining room service

Recommends Carnival Valor? Yes!

Very short stop officially from 8am to 2pm, but the ship was not cleared till about 10 am or so. Nothing to see anyway. We went to straw market and Hard Rock Cafe. Me and my mom walked around town a bit. I have been there before, so I was bored to tears after first half an hour.
Don't Miss: straw market?
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
We were in port from 8am to 6pm. I decided against the tours and we went directly to Orient beach. It is a developed beach unlike Magen's Bay and every section belongs to restaurant/hotel. Prices are all in Euros, so beware, nowdays it is about twice as much in USD. The water was even warmer the Magen's Bay, but it had big waves. We left at about 2pm to go downtown Phillisbugh ($7pp to and from Orient Beach)! When we were done it was close to closing time for everything dowtown, so after stop at Del Sol and Guavaberry Rum factory (a must, the stuff is delicious) everything was closed and we got back to the ship.
Don't Miss: Orient beach, Guavaberry Rum factory
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
You are on the island from 8am to 8 pm. We did the ultimate island tour through Carnival. On tour we went to all the highlights (drake's seat, etc) with photo ops. Granted the views were definetly worth it! After that we were dropped off at Magen's Bay for 2 hours. There is only 1 word for it - PARADISE, no waves, warm water and white sand, drinks from the bar - 2 hours is not enough! We did have an option to stay, but we also wanted to do some shopping, so next stop was Blackbeard's Castle. I thought it was kind of cheesy at first, but after going through the museums, especially the last one before the Rum factory, changed my mind. The last house you go to before getting to rum factory and exiting to downtown is cared for by the descendant of the original owners, she can tell you about the culture, how the houses are built, etc. I was touched as how much she actually cared for people to learn about her home, island, culture, not just rattle of a speech and ask for tips.
Don't Miss: Magen's Bay, Blackbeard castle
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Don't Miss: Magen's Bay, Blackbeard castle
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Don't Miss: Orient beach, Guavaberry Rum factory
Don't Miss: straw market?