Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Best Bang for your Buck!

Sail Date: October 01, 2006

Overall, our 7-night cruise on the Carnival Valor was great! We were blown away by the size of the ship and the seemingly limitless number of activities and perks available on board. We were happily surprised by the size and comfort of our cabin - it was much nicer than most of the hotel rooms we've stayed in. And the bed was, by far, the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. The next time we're in the market for a new bed, I know who to call!

While on board, it felt like we were in a floating city - everything we could ever want was right there! The ship was so big that we didn't really feel like we'd oriented ourselves to the layout until almost the last day of the cruise. Definitely pick up a map of the layout of the decks as soon as you step onboard!

Pros: You definitely get the most for your dollar cruising with Carnival.

Cons: The food is mediocre at best - but it's free and readily available!

Belize City, Belize
This seemed like the most interesting port with the biggest potential for a unique adventure. I would recommend one of the excursions focused on exploring the land - jeep tours, canopy tours, etc. Our tour of Altun Ha was a bit of a disappointment - although that could just be because it didn't appeal to me personally.
Don't Miss: Don't miss an opportunity to explore the native lands.
Belize City, Belize
Don't Miss: Don't miss an opportunity to explore the native lands.
George Town, Grand Cayman
The port itself was a little disappointing - I felt like I'd stepped into a pretend city created by Disney. Shopping was also disappointing - if you're not in the market for serious jewelry, don't bother wasting your time. Very little local flavor to be found in the port or on the tours. Grand Cayman is definitely a tourist attraction for the sake of being a tourist attraction.
Don't Miss: Sting Ray City
George Town, Grand Cayman
Don't Miss: Sting Ray City
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
Ironically, this port had the shore excursion I was most excited about. Unforunately, our driver was 45 minutes late, the truck was a mechanical nightmare, the microphone for the tour guide didn't work, and 20 minutes after setting out for our excursion, the tour guide cancelled the tour and took us back to the port. The port itself had the nicest shopping area - make sure to leave time to explore the stores and have a drink at one of the cantinas!
Don't Miss: Bring your bathing suit and take advantage of the swimming pool/bar in the middle of the open air mall!
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
The port itself is a shock to a big city girl. It saddened me to see the destitution and malnutrition - I felt incredibly guilty driving past such hardship while I was on my way to the "clean" side of the island where the beach resort could be found. If I'd had more time I would have really enjoyed walking through the market area - although I wouldn't advise doing so alone. I definitely felt the least safe at this port.
Don't Miss: Coral Cay Beach Resort is out of this world. Definitely sign up for a snorkel tour while you're there!
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico