Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Never say the "D" word on Carnival

Sail Date: March 23, 2008

On March 23,2008 my wife and I went on the Valor cruise of the Eastern Caribbean. We had looked forward to taking a cruise for sometime.

After the ship departed I discovered I had picked up a mild case of food poisoning from the Hotel we stayed at prior to our flight to Miami. I was in no way incapacitated or contagious but merely inconvenienced.

On Tuesday evening, my wife went to the ships store to purchase some Imodium to be on the precautionary side for our visit to St. Thomas the next day. She was told they would give her some at the Infirmary.

Alarms should have gone off here because Carnival does not give anything away.

When she went to the infirmary simply to get some Imodium the nurse grilled her for information as to my condition. Though I was not there and I am not sure what was exactly said. My wife returned to our stateroom in tears and told me I was not to leave our stateroom until the infirmary said it was permissible. This meant we would not be able to get off and tour St. Thomas.

At first I thought this was just a simple misunderstanding that could be easily cleared up in the morning. I mean how a nurse, not a doctor, could put such a constraint on a paying customer with out an examination or any sort of test.

On my way to get off in ST. Thomas following morning, around 7am, I stopped by the Infirmary to clear up this misunderstanding.

Upon introducing myself I proceeded to tell the nurse of my predicament and told her I had not had any issues ( diarrhea) in over 24hours. She told me the information she had indicated I had diarrhea at 7:00pm last night and that I must stay in my cabin for 24 hours after my last occurrence. I explained that it was 7:00am the preceding morning was my last occurrence. She was obstinate that I must remain confined to my stateroom. She did not listen to anything I said. I asked if there was anyone I could appeal this decision to. She told me no and that her decision was final.

With no one to appeal to I returned to my room.

The next issue came when I was told via the overhead PA system to report to the Immigration room on board while we docked in St. Thomas.

I called the Pursuers office and asked if it was alright to leave my room to go to immigration. The person told me immigration would come to my room.

I waited for a few hours when no one came by I called the Pursuers again and asked if immigration was still coming to my room. I was told by the person answering the phone that immigration never goes to a persons room and that I had better get down to the immigration area.

Later on in the day someone from Pursuers office called to see how I was getting on. I tried to explain that I was fine and should not be forced to stay in my room. They politely ignored my statement and told me that room service had been made aware of my condition and I could order broth and bland items recommended by the infirmary. They also told me there would be no charge for the movies while I was detained in my room.

Around 6pm I called room service to order the food prescribed by the infirmary and I was told by the person that answered the phone they only had sandwiches and they would not deliver broth. My wife had to go to the buffet on the Lido deck to get me what food that would conform to the diet the infirmary ordered.

When I got my final bill before I disembarked the charges for the 2 movies I watched during my confinement were on my bill.

My wife and I lost a good part of our vacation because of an over zealous nurse clearly overstepping her bounds and placing restrictions where they were not needed.

I would not recommend a Carnival Cruise to anyone but if you do bring your own Imodium.

G. B. Hammond
Halifax, MA

Pros: The way the crew tried to speak English

Cons: The curse of the nurse

Recommends Carnival Valor? No.

Great if you like Bingo
They do not monitor people cutting line
The food was ok but nothing to wrte home about.
Small but functional
I saw no one going above and beyond
Philipsburg, St. Maarten