Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

did not measure up

Sail Date: November 01, 2009

Overall, I was quite disapointed with the Valor as compared to the Carnival Pride and other cruise lines I have been on.

Pros: dinner in the dining room

Cons: hot tubs were cold and closed very early

Recommends Carnival Valor? No.

I never once encountered a crew memeber who went above and beyond. I once asked a cabin steward for a current copy of the Carinval Caper (because an old one was accidentally delivered to my room) and was told to go get one myself at the customer service desk. The spa staff was very short with me, and I felt like they could care less if I was there or not.
The one thing we were looking forward to the most was the Seaside Theater. We really wanted to go sit on deck after dinner and enjoy a movie while sipping a cocktail. Unfortunately, the Valor didn't play movies ... they played sports and news! On the very last night they played High School Musical 3. REALLY?? What a disapointment. Another activity we love is to soak in the hotubs at night after late dinner. We couldn't do that on this ship either, because the hot tubs all close at 10 or 11 and do not allow beverages in them. I have been on other ships where a bar server with actually serve you a cocktail while sitting in the hot tub! The cruise director was not very good either. Her announcements of ship activities were terrible. The comedians were both entertaining, and we had a good time going to the adult shows in the back lounge. On the first night, the casino has low limit table games, and we had fun playing blackjack for a few hours.
The layout of this ship is terrible. The two main public floors to walk from one end to the other force you to walk through either the very smokey casino or the cigar bar. All of the bars are small and incredibly smokey. The only public areas I could stand to be in were the theaters and the dining room. Our cabin was near the atrium on the 6th deck and the smoke and loud music from the lobby bar floated up to right outside our cabin door.
Our waiter in the main dining room was very attentive and seemed to care about our enjoyment. The food at night was very good, our party of four almost always enjoyed every course. The lido deck food tasted good, but almost wasn't worth braving the crowds for. I usually ate room service contintental breakfast and then pizza for lunch.
Having a balcony was nice to watch the sunsets from. Our room was clean and stocked with whatever we needed. Bathrobes were nice to have, and there was also a lot of storage space. I was able to fully unpack and store my suitcase in a cupboard.