Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Best Vacation Ever!

Sail Date: April 01, 2009

I sailed 4/12/09-4/19/09, the weather was perfect every day. All the ship's personnel were friendly and accomidating. The ship was very clean, although I would prefer an all non-smoking ship. Walking past the casino you encountered a rush of cigerate smoke.

We were lucky to be seated with interesting and fun people in the dining room. The food was first class, the lobster was sweet and the beef cooked to order. There was always a good sampling of menu choices,from beef-chicken-pasta- and even vegitarian. The breakfast buffet was always hot and fresh, and although at times the line seemed long it moved quickly. If you went to the back dining room where Roseie's picture was done in tile the lines moved much faster.

I found out about the fish/chips place from this site prior to our sailing date and the critics were right!!! Few people knew where it was and the food was delicious.

There were 1300 children on board and I hardly ever saw one-thank you camp Carnival workers!!!

Our ports of call were great and we booked excursions through Carnival. I highly recommend the Pirates, Birds and Monkey excursion on the Isle of Roatan. Young and old will love it and our tour guide gave us sooooo much great info about life on the island.

I would also highly recommend the turtle farm and swimming with the sting rays on Grand Cayman. This was my favorite excursion. Four miles out from shore is a white sand, sand-bar with beautiful teal blue water. The sting rays were soft like velvet and holding them was wonderful. The water was warm and only came up to my chest, so great for children also. The friend I sailed with couldn't swim and she felt very safe participating in this activity. This tour also included a stop they called 'hell'. I would by-pass this wasn't really worth it. More of a tourist trap than anything else. Our last excursion was to Tulum, to see the archilogical site of the Mayan ruins. This was also fantastic. Might not be something very young children would like, as it is very hot due to very little shade there. However, the ruins are amazing and the beach and teal water offered a cooling off spot.This was a 7 hour trip because you had to go to the main land of Mexico to take this excursion so transportation took longer. BUT well worth it!!!

Pros: Ship was clean, our cabin was always taken care of 100% by our room cabin stewart Emil. Ports of call were fantasic, food was wonderful, although too much to eat and choose from!

Cons: Carnival made our arifare arrangements and we arrived as the muster drill was beginning. So we missed a lot of cruise ship time with such a late flight.

Recommends Carnival Valor? Yes!

I was lucky to have sailed on the Glory which is set up similar to the Valor. Deck 5 is the deck to use to move about from one end to the other. Deck zero was where we had to catch the tender and you could not go there unless you went to deck 1 and took the stairs, although the elevator had a button for deck zero.
Our waiter Ceaser was wonderful. Great selections, served hot, and everything tasted great. After a busy day on excursions nice to return to the ship and be waited on!!!
Our room stewart Emil was great. Always clean, fresh towels, and the ice bucket was always filled with fresh ice; no matter what time of day we stopped back to the cabin. My one complaint is that the cabin was not cool enough for me. I like it around 62 and the lowest the temp. would go was 73. They did supply us with a fan, and we got the last one available. So if you like it cool request a fan from housekeeping ASAP!! Could have used more hangers, you might pack a few of your own and then just leave them for the next quest.
There seemed to be less activties from the last time I sailed. Only one signles dance class verses 4 for example. But we played trivia games and the piano bar was great!
Night time shows- the best was the last night and the second night. We skipped one altogether-was more for children. The illusionist was very good!
Everyone was friendly and helpful. We didn't see the cruise director, as much as my last cruise, but everything ran smoothly.