Carnival Valor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Eastern Carribbean cruise

Sail Date: August 27, 2006

The carnival valor was a beautiful ship, I thought. Each bar was uniquely decorated. I did not think it was overly anything, as others have written. It was nice. It was challenging to get to the middle of the ship for decks 3,4,& 5 becuase of the dining rooms in the way, but we made it work by being creative.

Pros: The ports of call.

Cons: Food & stateroom.

The shore excursions were great. We went snorkeling, sightseeing, and swimming. The instructors were helpful, although I got a little sick or annoyed of the drivers and instructors asking for tips all the time. I THOUGHT I PAID for this in the excursion.
The activities on the ship were limited. My boyfriend and I (25 & 27) didn't really have much to do besides go the bar. We spent most of our time at the casino bar drinking. I was really excited when I read about karaoke, but they held this in the Cigar Bar. Hello! Who wants to sing in a room full of smoke? I only did this 1 night. My boyfriend hated it. I was really disappointed. I did like taking portraits every night. It gave us something to do. The other activities like bingo & trivia games, were not as enticing.
The food on the Lido deck, which is buffet food was not very good. I am not too picky so almost anything will do, but this was not cool. Everything seemed bland with little or no flavor. We ate in the dining room which I thought was great, which is why Im giving 2 smiley faces. We had a 5:45 dining time and it worked out great for what we liked. The burgers and fries in the grill was suprisingly good compared to the food in the Lido. The pizza was okay, but seemed to be undercooked most of the time with no sauce, just cheese.
We were VERY disappointed when we saw our stateroom. I had booked this cruise with and told them it was going to be me and my boyfriend. The room they assigned me had a twin on the floor and 1 in the ceiling. I was outraged! The agent told me I would have 2 beds that we could push together. This was the worst. I asked specifically about this. NOT HAPPY!

Otherwise, the room was clean and neat, that's is what the 2 smileys are for.
Everything was clean, again the layout of decks 3,4,5 was a bit harry. The size of the ship seemed a tad to small for the amount of people on this cruise.
Staff was excellent. Everyone always greeted us and were always friendly. Our steward even tried to calm us down once he saw our room, even though he could do nothing about it. I have no complaints about the staff.
Snorkeling at Pearl Island. It was awesome, lots of fish, clean water. We didn't eat there becuase we didn't want to buy food tickets. Strange if you ask me.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Here we visited Magens Bay, 1 of the most beautiful beaches in the world, visited the rum factory and blackbeards castle. There were a few fresh water pools that were awesome. It was just me and my boyfriend. The shopping was good too. I recommend the "blue tents."
Don't Miss: Magens Bay
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Here we visited Pinel Island, an uninhabited beach where we snorkeled. There was a lot of coral, so I was a little afraid of being cut. I didn't have much fun there, because of all the kids on this activity. We had a cool drink at the little restuarant on the beach. The water was great.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas