Overall Pleasant First Experience.

Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

5 Night Western Caribbean (Galveston Roundtrip)
Sail Date: October 10, 2015
Ship: Carnival Triumph

We had a great time. All the crew staff was very accommodating and friendly. Our shore excursions were what was expected from the destination ports and what we had paid for.

The vessel itself could be a little more kept up via painting and overall preventative maintenance done in the stateroom we were in. There were several rust spots in our bathroom bulkhead. Other than that the rooms were very well prepared for the next day. Non-intrusive stateroom staff. I think we saw our steward once during the entire time.

Quantity and variety were great. I've had better quality in my Navy days. All the food items were mediocre at best. All the dairy products were not kept cold or even cool while out on the buffet. Not on ice or chillers. I was leery of even trying the milk, not to mention the cheeses. Some of the same items that were severed in the dinning room were on the buffet line. Why go to the dinning room in slacks, when I can eat in comfort of my shorts and tee-shirt in the buffet line.

The casino staff was top notch. Very friendly. Very helpful. Made the hours pass quickly by good conversation and fun times.
Bar drink pricing was inconsistent from one bar to the other, even for non-alcoholic drinks.

Although we did not bring our son on this one. We did check out the programs that would be available to him. WOW. From what we saw, he would lack for nothing during the cruise time.

We will not be on a cruise without a balcony. This made my first experience on a commercial cruise worth it. I could get my coffee delivered first thing in the morning and sit out on the balcony and watch the sunrise over the water. Something I used to do while serving in the Navy from the fantail on a GatorFrieghter during a Westpac.
Drop your luggage and/or your party at the terminal before parking. Have them get in line. Makes it quicker. Be prepared for $10 per cruise day for parking at the port lots, cash. It's a slow process to get on board, so be mentally prepared for it.
The local merchants are very aggressive about selling their wares, both getting off the pier and getting back on. A direct "NO THANK YOU" will turn them around though.
Great duty free shopping area.