Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Caribbean

Carnival Triumph 11/18/13

Sail Date: November 18, 2013

My husband and I took the Carnival Triumph 5 night cruise last November to Progresso, Mexico and Cozumel, Mexico.

I'll start out with talking about the ports. Progresso was our first stop and to put it nicely, I was surprised at what I saw. Progresso is what they call an "up and coming" port. When you first get off the ship it looks pretty nice! A large building that was full of souveniers and everything you would expect to see when getting on port! Once you exit the back of the building it looks like a small town with pebbled roads and lots of shops right next to each other with signs for $1 beer. After the prices on the ship that got us prety excited! We walked around in and out of all the shop ( I LOVE little knick knacks and souveniers!) The sales people were very pushing and trying to get us to buy everything. I felt like that was pretty normals, so it wasn't too bothersome. After about 20 minutes of walking in and out of the stores we came to the end! It opened up into, well nothing! It was a parking lot that was gated all around and you couldn't see anything. We found a travel station and asked what else there was because we knew that couldn't be all. They explained that the actual town was a few miles away and we could take a free bus ride there. FREE?? We were in! We didn't have to wait long for a bus, (they said there were 3 or so busses constatnly running) so that was nice. The bus was not air conditioned, which is to be expected, but it was HOT! I didn't want to complain too much because hey we were on vacation! So I just tried to enjoy the ride. The bus too us out of the gated area in to, well more gates. We passed what I believewas military stations with men standing with guns and lots of gates!(That's all i obviosuly remember!) We finally made it into town where the bus pulled up into a parking lot where other people were also being dropped and little stands set up with souveniers.When we got off the bus we were HOUNDED with peopletrying to sell us excursions (the same ones that Carnival offered, but litterally for 90% cheaper), more souveniers, purses, pretty everything. They were grabbing our arms trying to show us things, which gives me reall bad anxiety! So we tried to rush away. We decided to explore the port instead of an excurions, mostly because of being terrified of missing the boat! The town was, to put it nicely, not nice. It was very old and just not what you would expect to be a port! We walked for awhile in and out of stores and restaurants. Also decided to skip the food because we were not about to get sick when the trip just began!! We walked to the beach which was brown! At that point I got a little upset. I can see a brown lake here in Dallas! I wanted water I could see to the bottom of the ocean! So we were bummed about the view so we kept walking around. We kept passing people on the streets begging for money. Don't get me wrong, I love to help people out, but I was on vacation I didn't want to be sad! We finally paid $10 for a grasshopper made out of grass because this sad boy in a wheel chair was selling it. I really just put a damper on the rest of the day. Needless to say, we didn't stay long. We went back to the ship and ate! Which helped with my sadness. ;)

My about Cozumel will be shorter, I promise!! We loved Cozumel! The water was amazing and the whole place was just beautiful! We did make the mistakeof taking a taxi ($40 there and $40 back) and going to a beach that we also had to pay for. When we got back to the area where the ship was ported we found people were renting scooters to drive to the other side of the Cozumel, which is free and suppose to be even more beautiful! They started out at $40 to rent the scooter for the day and my husband ended up talking them down to around $15!! WAAYY cheaper than the taxi. The shopping was awesome, the beach was beautiful, we loved everything about it!

Now about the Triumph! It was beautiful! We were on it a few months after it caught fire and stalled or whatever in the ocean. If I hadn't seen it all over the news, I would have had no idea anything had been wrong with it! The food was to die for at every location on the ship. Guys burgers, the pizzeria, the dining rooms, room serivice, the yogurt and ice cream machines, all fabulous! I don't think I've ever eaten that much in 5 days in my ENTIRE life!! Brunch in the main dining was my personal fave. I had orignially intended on purchasing the unlimited soda package, but between the juices and ridiculously amazing coffee I definitely didn't need it! We went to every show they offered. They were all very entertaining and just awesome in general. We loved all of them. We also went to the comedy club when it was offered and the burlesque shows, which we thought were awesome! We really had no ocmplaints about the ship at all. We played scrabbled in the library, spent entirely too much at the casino, even won $200 at BINGO!

Overall we had an amazing time! We loved so much that is completely out weighed the parts we were disappointed about. It was our first cruise together as a couple and we've already booked another one! We can't wait for more great experiences!