Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Purser

Sub Par- You Get What You Pay For!

Sail Date: August 01, 2012

Traveled As: Family w/young children

I've been on 5 cruises and this was my first Carnival. The ship was ok for it's age I guess, but it was very small and you could feel every wave. And the pools, ugh...I'll get to those later, but they only had 3 small pools about the size of a kitchen or bedroom! Where's the big fun pools for everyone to get in? It would be ok for the first timer who doesn't know any better, but if you've ever been on a bigger better boat, save your money and stick with the better ones. I'll never cruise on Carnival again.

Pros: Weight room was very nice and had plenty of options. Food was average.

Cons: Everything was centered around the party crowd. DJ was terrible! Not much \"family fun.\" Same 5 line-dance songs every day 4 times a day. Ship was old and way too small\, tossed like driftwood. Wife got sick even with meds. Progresso\, Mexico is NASTY! Don't do West Caribbean!

Recommends Carnival Triumph? No.

The layout of the decks were awful! Maybe b/c i've only cruised royal caribbean\, but I was thoroughly disappointed. My wife had no idea b/c it was her first cruise. But you couldn't walk from one end of the ship to the other without having to go up one floor and over then back down a floor or vice versa. The design was very flawed. Again it's old so I guess that's forgivable. All in all\, save your money and go out of a different port. Triump is not the ship you want to be on. Cleanliness was good\, save a few places like cups and plates around the eating areas. Seemed like they only did dishes on an as needed basis and you'd have to go searching for a plate at a nearby line if you wanted one.
Food quality was average. Only good thing is it's all you can eat...variety of food was ok during breakfast of lunch. Dining was not bad\, had to sit with another couple that was about our age so it made for decent discussion but I was more interested in having a romantic dinner with my wife so if you want good one on one time\, do dinner in your room or something. Or don't do a specific seating time.
We had a balcony and that was nice. I'll never cruise without one. But the room itself was definitely old. Hairdryer looked like it was made in the 70s and wife complained about it taking forever to dry her hair. We aren't big partiers so we took quite a few naps and maximized our stateroom experience.
Staff was good for the most part but i did not like how carnival automatically took the tip out of my credit card. Partly b/c I never even met my stateroom cleaner and we never had our ice bucket refilled. Constantly had to go out myself and find someone to refill it. Never had anyone go above and beyond for us but everyone was somewhat friendly when I had to go to them for something. Our server at dinner was very good and his help was average. The DJ was awful. His idea of mixing songs was fade down while fading the other up. I could do better with a home mixer! Played the same songs all week. Got very old. Again\, first and LAST carnival cruise. I've had much better.
Entertainment consisted of employees trying to get everyone to do the same 5 line-dance songs over and over all week. I can count on one hand the times they did something different like a hairy chest contest or watching an employee do an ice sculpting. The entire cruise was centered around the partiers and \"making money on booze.\" We were hounded left and right to buy drinks by the servers and that's just not our thing. The night entertainment was out by the pool was good with family movies. We enjoyed the leisure time with the family. But now comes the pools...Dun Dun Dun Duuuuuun...it had 3 pools the size of my office at work MAYBE! It seemed the entire mission of Carnival was to pack as many people on the boat as they could and give no room for pools. Makes me sick. Only 2 of the pools were even open all week. One pool was closed most of the week b/c the ship was rocking too much and when they tried to fill it up it was tidal waving out onto the deck so they'd stop filling it. Poor
Not much for the kids to do other than some arcade games and a water slide (which you can only do so many times before it's no longer fun). Was very unpleased with the overall amount to do on the boat. If you aren't gambling or drinking\, sorry 'boutcha!