Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

A Sailor's First Civilian Cruise

Sail Date: February 27, 2012

Room Type: Suite

The Triumph was in very good shape. I noticed when in ports while people are off the boat, the crew of Triumph are painting, shampooing carpets, cleaning outside windows and balconies, etc. They kept Triumph is very good shape.

Pros: The crew of the Triumph went out of their way to make sure I was happy

Cons: Progreso Mexico and the Elevators on the Triumph

Recommends Carnival Triumph? Yes!

There are some things that necessitate an inconvenience in layout, such as having to go up a deck to get around a dining room, but that is really no big deal. My only major complaint would be the elevators. When everyone is onboard, you can wait a while for an elevator. Sometimes an empty elevator would go right past your floor, when it could have stopped to pick you up.

Other than that, the ship remained clean and decorative. Artwork adorns the walls of public areas as well as in the cabins. (Some of it quite expensive!) I also learned that every night, all the hot tubs and swimming pools are completely drained, scrubbed, wiped down, and refilled. This can make for some cold water in the swimming pools early in the morning, but the hot tubs heat up pretty quick.
This was my first cruise on a ship that was not painted gray, and although we ate pretty good on my old aircraft carrier, the food on Triumph was really good! I heard from some other guests that the food was no where near as good as it is on other cruise lines, but since this was my first cruise, I have nothing to compare it to. The food was tasty and well plated in the formal dining room. The informal dining areas on the Lido deck were good too! All the food is all you can eat,
Outstanding! Movies on the jumbotron out by the pool, gambling, magic shows, a burlesque show, big band performance, and bands in the Casino, a couple of the clubs, and up by the pools played all types of music!
We had a suite for the cruise. It was very well appointed and beautifully decorated. Our door that led to the balcony was apparently "broken" and on day three they came to fix it. The automatic door closer had been disconnected and I wish they would not have fixed that. We liked cruising and sleeping at night with the balcony door wide open. After they fixed it, we had to use a deck chair to block it open.

Because we had a suite, the bathroom had a jetted jacuzzi tub. Not recommended for 270 pound men. It is a tight fit. We were on the Empress Deck (Deck 7) forward of amidships. Good location to be!
Some special recognition here goes out to Putu, our cabin steward. He seemed to come out of nowhere everytime you needed something. I lost a button on my tuxedo and was returning to my room to change when I saw Mr. Putu in the passageway. I asked him would he happen to have a needle and thread, and he pulled an already threaded needle from his cart and I was able to sew my tuxedo jacket button back on in no time.

Mr. Putu was perfect in cleaning the room in the morning, and doing turndown in the evening. The bathroom was cleaned twice a day, towels were changed out, and everytime he saw me in the passageway, he would call me by name and ask me how we were doing. My son thought he was the coolest.

Very special thanks go out to Yipin in the Casino and to Valentin, our head waiter. Unfortunately, I don't have enough room on here to comment on both of these people, but they were superb!