Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

just a ok cruise

Sail Date: March 05, 2011

Traveled As: Family w/young children

The New Orleans port was great. We had no problems when we got there or when we arrived back home. Going thru customs in New Orleans was the fastest we have ever gone thru customs ever. When we saw our room at the beginning of our cruise, we were very disappointed. We normally get an inside room on deck 7, 8 or 9. This time we got a room on deck 7. I did not read the small print some were because the 3rd person bed was a very small cot on the floor instead of a fold down bed. Our 3rd person in our room was a 12 yr. old so his feet did not hang over the end of the got but it did go all the way to the end. He said it was comfortable so we did not say anything. I found out later that they only allow you to get this kind of room for 3 people so they can save the cabins with fold down beds for 4 people in a cabin. I had set up to have an egg crate on our bed since my husband has a bad back. From past experience I knew this would not be in the room on arrival and looked for the cabin stewart. The cabin stewart acted as if he did not know what we were talking about then later he told us that there were only 3 on the ship and they were taken. The cabin stewart put extra blankets under my husband side of the bed and he sleep ok. The bed was very hard and not comfortable at all.
At dinner we were sat a table with two other couples with a child. We enjoyed the company but the table had 9 people at a table for 8. The food was a BIG disappointment. Our grandson will eat anything but the first night he ordered lasagna and it was very bad. We sent it back and he got something else. Unfortunately this was not the last time we had to order something else. The wait staff was great. Very attentive and good at their job. Most days the food was good but not great. The best thing on the ship was the chicken strips and hot dogs.
The main entertainment was ok. The entertainment around the ship was very good. Our grandson went to Camp C which was for 12-14 yr olds. He had a great time there. The director was great and he did a great job.
The excursions were overpriced. We only took one with the ship which was ok but not the best we had been on. I went to the excursion desk to book it and found out it was sold out. We were told we could choose another shore excursion and be put on the waiting list for the one we wanted so we did. I asked if the one we wanted came up would the one we booked be canceled or did we need to do something. I was told it would not be a problem. If we were able to get the excursion we wanted then the first one we booked would be cancelled for us. This did not happen!!! My husband went to the shore excursion desk to make sure it was cancelled and was informed they could not delete the charges for the first excursion. He explained that we had been put on a waiting list. He was told that they needed the tickets of the first excursion. Luckily I had not thrown them away yet and this problem was taken care of. The other two ports we went out on our own and had a very good time.
This was the worst cruise we have been on to date and we have taken about 9 cruises on 4 different cruise lines. At this time we do not plan to take another cruise on Carnival.

Pros: the staff

Cons: the food was ok to bad

Recommends Carnival Triumph? No.