Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

An Excellent Adventure

Sail Date: September 18, 2010

The key to understanding the service delivery, is that this is a luxury cruise at an affordable price. Given that irony, Carnival does an excellent job of carrying out a seemingly impossible mission.

I had very little concern with safety or security, other than luggage handling and parking at the port in New Orleans. And that would have been relieved with better information from the salespeople or website.

I was delighted with the music program, which the site and salespeople said nothing about. The information about the ports of call was extremely limited- apparently to suppliers with whom Carnival has a promotional relationship. Nothing was presented about flora and fauna, non-profit civil content, or non-partnership businesses at the destinations.

With the exception of the open-seating breakfast dining (Paris Dining Room) Maitr'd, staff was very helpful and friendly.

I have cruised Carnival before, and I will cruise on Carnival again.

Pros: The most comfortable way to travel. And it is fun.

Cons: Salespeople prolific. They- and website- unhelpful.

Recommends Carnival Triumph? Yes!

Too much promotion of gambling, 'shopping', fake art.

What's not promoted is probably the best part: you're still in a huge and impressive natural environment- at sea- and going to other lands and cultures.

The ship is a technical marvel; and that is legitimately promoted.

The music, from Director Patrick Blodgett (spelled right?) was exceptional. We thought we would miss the Country Western band we had on the Extascy, but his Jazz Show Band made up for everything. The feature show on this particular voyage- 'The Big Easy'- was Broadway quality. (I was expecting local dinner theater.) All the Pianists werre fantastic, especially the yound lady. (I think her name was Kim?)
The first Carnival cruise I took had minimal children's activities. I didn't bring my children this time, but the programs seemed much more substantial. This is important to parents, who deserve to enjoy their vacation.
A cruise ship is not like a hotel, so it's taken me a while to appreciate it: and I have worked offshore as a 100-ton Captain. Given what I do know, I'm impressed with the design and decor. The staff works hard, and you can see it.
The food is geared to volume as much as quality, but they still hit a good high standard. If you didn't go to the reserved (assigned) seating in the formal dining rooms, you would miss the best food and service.
You have to know marine accomodations to appreciate how luxurious these staterooms are. I don't think most people are going to appreciate the quality here. Compare with a train stateroom, for the few who have had that experience.
It's almost easier to identify the exceptions to good service, and that just wouldn't be fair. Not only are these people good, they're fascinating. They come from all over the world. They make world harmony imaginable.
Key West, Florida
You 'timed out' my previous input, so I will be sending a letter to Carnival directly.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island