Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Never Cruise Out Of New Orleans

Sail Date: March 01, 2010

My wife and I cruise 2 or 3 times each year: Once per year (at least) we load up some of the kids and grand-kids and force them to go cruising with us. This time we took 3 out of 5 sons and half of the grand-kids. This was our 6th or so cruise with Carnival, first on this ship.

Never Sail out of New Orleans: This was the second time that we have sailed out of New Orleans. Each time we do the embarkation process gets worse. The ship was very late starting the embarkation process. First, we were told that there was engine problem that caused the ship to be late; then we were told that bad weather forced them to be late, and finally that there was a terrorist threat and that they were searching all bags & people as they came off the ship. We never learned the truth. The result was that we waited in line outside of the terminal building for 4.5 hours in the cold blowing wind to get on the ship. Luckily they had 2 port-a-potties set up for the 3000 of us passengers to use. A couple of my sons and I walked about half-mile to find pizza and water so we had a family picnic in line. The grand-kids enjoyed it.

Setting sail: I guess that setting sail is not exactly accurate since the ship didnt have sails. We survived the longest pre-sail life boat drill I have ever attended and I have attended several.

Now lets talk about food, bacon to be precise. I know it isnt really very good for you but I love the stuff! Please answer this question, why would a company like Carnival that charges $2 for a can of soda and $20 for a 4x6 photo want to ration bacon on the buffet line? Thats right, 2 pieces of bacon. Yet they let my wife eat 2 lobsters for dinner. From the condition of the ship it is obvious that Carnival isnt spending the money saved from rationing bacon on maintaining the ship! Maybe it is to help pay for their new ship the Dream? (Which by the way my brother-in-law was on 2 weeks ago and was very disappointed). Every time I ate breakfast from the buffet line I had to say, Look I paid a lot of money to be on this ship, give me more bacon. They did!

Debarkation: Getting off the ship is always such a joy. We decided to roll our luggage off ourselves. This went fairly well for a while until everyone, regardless of their deck, decided to get off at the same time. Thanks to people like that there was a huge traffic jam on Deck 3. Finally a traffic cop showed to manage the traffic flow and soon everyone was moving smoothly along. Once off the ship we were greeted by a line that made the lines at Disney World look short. But $30 later we were in front of everyone and on our way to the car except for my wife? Customs had seized my wife and one of her many souvenirs. She had purchased this ugly unfinished wood carving in Roatan. Apparently that is illegal. Of all the things they should be looking for like drugs, they busted my wife over a piece of wood. They released her about 30 minutes later less her ugly carving (I would like to thank the US Customs for that) and we were once again on our way home. Have a great cruise!

This was not our best cruise on Carnival!

Pros: The entertainment

Cons: The list is long

Recommends Carnival Triumph? No.