Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Lovely with a few drawbacks.

Sail Date: March 01, 2010

The Triumph is a relatively new ship (10 yrs) and still in good condition. She has a number of balcony cabins that are large enough not to feel claustrophobic and the bathrooms are surprisingly roomy and our balcony was our sanctuary. We were in cabin 8328 and we had problems with the noise of chairs screeching across the floor above and the sound of kids running heavily. The bathroom also had a foul smell at times.
Embarkation and Debarkation was tedious which really got on my nerves (4 hours late on both) . There was very little communication during both processes and during the trip we heard several things such as immigration issues, the ship was late & the possibility of someone sneaking on board and supposedly they had to check everyone individually. There was just alot of holes in their story that didn't pass the smell test. While waiting you are herded in small area (which I do understand due to cleaning for the next passengers) but no one communicated with us and it was really a no go for me. People are just fine with the truth don't feed us bull and talk to us. They didn't let the handicapped people off first and I felt sorry for them as they were packed in with us without any room to move. I saw a paraplegic and a couple of hover rounds that should have been let off first.
The staff were wonderful. Our Paris dining room was a little disappointing because there was a small row of tables crammed in a walk area between tables and my husband had his head bumped a couple of times with trays and I was always in fear of one of them hitting the ceiling with stacked trays and dumping all the food in our laps. We also had a bunch of high school kids that needed to learn dining room decorum, they tossed food and butter back and forth almost every night and tried to order drinks being underage. Our wait staff were wonderful and so pleasant to talk to Everton and Juicte' were lovely people and suggested wonderful choices for wine and food.
Our room steward and staff were phenomenal.
We met a sweetheart at the aft pool (Cesloves) from Lativa a small area near Russia but don't call him Russian he won't appreciate it. That boy was always working.
Everyone always seem to have negative things to say about booking excursions with Carnival but I have found them convenient to book online and have all your tickets within a day when onboard. I have only been disappointing once and that was out of their control due to weather and we still had fun going into town. I thought I was going to have to fight for a refund but they deducted it off our sign and sail bill the last day which was refreshing. We loved all our excursions in Belize, Roatan and Cozumel. Oh a note about Roatan, if you go and it rains watch your step on the walkway going from the village to the ship I witnessed 30+ people slipping down with several that I knew hurt themselves pretty badly, wear your shoes and walk carefully there were some pretty bad spills.
Entertainment was good. The lead singers had great voices and a couple of the dancers were wonderful, you will know when you see them you keep your eye on them. The Comedian was very funny and he juggled too, two for one. I told my husband that we should remember his name because I think we may see him again on Comedy Central.

Overall the cruise was a hit for us but the biggest sour note was the Embark and Debark. Next time I'm doing the self assist if I have to carry things on my head.
Final note talk to the staff you will find them charming and just a pleasure to talk to and if you ask they will teach you words in their native language, learn their names and you have a friend. The exception is the bar staff for some reason they are always short and sometimes outright rude I'm not sure what is up with that but I have never encountered a friendly one.

Pros: Day trips and Staff

Cons: Embarkation and Debarkation

Recommends Carnival Triumph? Yes!