Carnival Triumph Cruise Review

I am a multiple time cruiser with over 10 trips on Carnival Cruise Lines alone. My family and I took the Triumph from Charleston, SC to Bermuda on 5/29/02. My negative opinion which was echoed by 10+ past Carnival cruise passengers I spoke with, was a match. The room was great, but the cabin service rated about 3 out of 10. The food rated 2 out of 10. One passenger compared the food quality to Applebees. Tables at outside deck eating areas for breakfast and lunch meals were very often left uncleaned. In fact, in the back section, passengers were clearing their own tables and placing dirty plates etc. on one big table in an attempt to provide somewhat clean tables for other passengers to eat their meals. Smoking, Smoking, Smoking!!! I have never been on a ship where so many passengers smoked and there appeared to be very few places where a non-smoker could sit without having smoke next to them. Also the tables in the public areas were left with most ash trays filled for long periods of time, along with empty drink glasses. There was very little offered to teens as we had a 13 and 16-year-old with us who "hung out" at the teen disco, when open, which was far less than it should have been. Generally, the teens sat around in the Promenade area near the casino, in large groups, with the smokers. Entertainment on the ship ranged from very good provided by their dancers and a magic duo, to the rest, which was about what you would expect from a cheap beach club. I could go on, but as you can see, we were terribly disappointed as was every repeat cruiser we spoke with. We were often not seeking others opinions, but they were often vocalizing their comments to see if others agreed. Basically, we compared the Triumph to the All Sports hotels at Disney World. You get a clean room but that's about all. Maybe Carnival is now actively trying to be the "All Sports" quality cruise line in the industry and if that is true, then they should advertise it properly. As for my family, we will cruise again, but we will be looking for non-Carnival owned lines such as Princess and Royal Caribbean.