Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Never cruise out of New Orleans

Sail Date: March 01, 2010

My wife and I cruise 2 or 3 times each year: Once per year (at least) we load up some of the kids and grand-kids and force them to go cruising with us. This time we took 3 out of 5 sons and half of the grand-kids. This was our 6th or so cruise with Carnival, first on this ship.

Never Sail out of New Orleans: This was the second time that we have sailed out of New Orleans. Each time we do the embarkation process gets worse. The ship was very late starting the embarkation process. We were told that there was engine problem that caused the ship to be late, then we were told that bad weather forced them to be late, and finally that there was a terrorist threat and that they were searching all bags & people as they came off the ship. We never learned the truth. The result was that we waited in line outside of the terminal building for 4.5 hours in the cold blowing wind to get on the ship. Luckily they had 2 port-a-potties set up for the 3500 of us passengers to use. A couple of my sons and I walked about mile to find pizza and water so we had a family picnic in line. The grand-kids enjoyed it.

Setting sail: I guess that setting sail is not exactly accurate since the ship didnt have sails. We survived the longest pre-sail life boat drill I have ever attended and I have attended several.

Lets talk about Bacon. I know it isnt really very good for you but I love the stuff! Please answer this question, why would a company like Carnival that charges $2 for a can of soda and $20 for a 4x6 photo ration bacon on the buffet line? Thats right, 2 pieces of baconThey let my wife eat 2 lobstersHow much bacon could they buy for the price of a lobster? Maybe enough to give me 3 pieces? Stop letting people have an extra lobster and give me 3 pieces of bacon! It is obvious that Carnival isnt spending the money saved from rationing bacon on maintaining the ship! Maybe it is to help pay for their new ship the Dream? (Which by the way my brother-in-law was on 2 weeks ago and was very disappointed). Every time I ate breakfast from the buffet line I had to say, Look I paid a lot of money to be on this ship, give me more bacon They did!

Debarkation: Getting off the ship is always such a joy. We decided to roll our luggage off ourselves. This went fairly well for a whileuntil everyone, regardless of their deck, decided to get off at the same time. Thanks to people like that there was a huge traffic jam on Deck 3. Finally a traffic cop showed to manage the traffic flow and soon everyone was moving smoothly along.

Once off the ship we were greeted by a line that made the lines at Disney World look short. But $30 later we were in front of everyone and on our way to the carexcept for my wife? Customs had seized my wife and one of her souvenirs. She had purchased this unfinished wood carving in Roatan. Aparently that is illegal. Of all the things they should be looking for like guns, drugs and rockers, they busted my wife over a piece of wood. They released her about 30 minutes later less her ugly carving (I would like to thank the US Customs for that) and we were once again on our way home.

Have a great cruise!

Pros: I'm still thinking.....

Cons: The list is long

Recommends Carnival Triumph? No.

The ship was really showing its age. The hallways smelled like a sewer and our room (6-425) often smelled like fried chicken. But the room was comfortable. We had 2 electrical problems in the room during our 7-days onboard. It only took 2 phone calls each time before they fixed the problems.
Food was what I call Carnival Adequate. It wasnt great but it was adequate. The dining room service was very good, so good in fact that we left the waiters an extra tip.
See above
No complaints here
The entertainment was among the best that I have seen on a cruise ship in a long time. I was very happy with the entertainment. I wasnt happy with the casinoI lost $200 playing poker (the first time I have lost playing holdem poker on a cruise ship) but I won $200 playing bingo.