Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Save Your Money

Sail Date: August 06, 2009

Room Type: Suite

The ship is extremely difficult to navigate and many things weren't working. The hot tubs on deck never worked the entire length of our cruise and neither did the jacuzzi tub in our suite. Many areas of the deck were cordoned off with caution tape as were the machines and weights in the gym. I had a pedicure and the massage chair was broken so I asked for a discount. I was told by the woman giving me my pedicure that it hadn't worked for a long time. I had to ask several times to have the manager come over and when he finally did and I asked him for a discount, he said he couldn't do anything about the price but that I could have a free treatment at another time. So I went back the next day and expected this wonderfully relaxing "treatment" only to realise they put me in some egg with my head sticking out in the middle of the exercise room! They didn't even have this relaxation machine in a private room. So anyway, it vibrated like I was lying over the hood of a Mack truck and got very hot like a sauna inside and made lots of noise. I left after five minutes and was told the manager would contact me regarding my unappealing experience in the spa. He never called me and when I brought this up to the customer service desk the last night of the cruise I was told, "Maybe you weren't in your room when he called." Well, excuse me, but was I expected to stay in my room for the duration of my cruise awaiting his call? So over all I paid $65 for a $25 pedicure. In addition, on the first noght of the cruise we ordered a wine package and the first bottle was so bad we didn't even drink it so we cancelled the package and were refunded. Hoon the last noght of the cruise we were asked to sign a receipt for $50 for the crappy bottle of wine from the first noght. We complained to the wine steward, the concierge and the mait're d and no one wanted to help us. We had to jump through hoops and produce the half-empty bottle (from the first night of the cruise) in orded to have the charge removed from our tab. The buffets at night were also pitiful.

Pros: Sailed from New York

Cons: Items in disrepair, staff unwilling to make accomodations in some instances

Recommends Carnival Triumph? No.

Our room steward was FANTASTIC! He was the nicest person on board and was very helpful and certainly went out of his way to make our stay pleasurable. Our suite was very nice. At first the TV didn't work so I disconnected it and reconnected it and that took care of it. The room was always spotless and was made up early and turned down at a convenient time. We loved the towel animals he made.
The decor in the dining rooms left much to be desired. THe bathrooms near the main parts of the ship, the pool, casino and buffets were smelly.
Most were average. Our room steward was above average. But the Spa manager and the Mait're D and Wine STewards were ridiculous. I thought they were supposed to try to make us happy but instead they caused a great deal of grief!
The main dining room food was great on the night of the Captain's dinner and mediocre the rest of the time. The late night buffets were pretty gross.
The show we saw the night of the Captain's Dinner was nice - great constumes and dances and the two lead singers were great. The comic was also very funny! Other than that you were in the casino which was fun except for the TERRIBLE SMOKE! I had a sore throat for three days because of all the smoke in there.
Saint John, New Brunswick
If you did not do an expensive excursion, which we did not, there was NOTHING to do here.