Carnival Triumph Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Horrible Experience

Sail Date: July 04, 2009

Traveled As: Family w/young children

My family booked several cabins on this cruse it was supposed to be somewhat of a family reunion, First Orbits caused a mess mixing up the cabins and almost causing half of our family to miss the trip it took about 6 hours and a few supervisors to get the problem straighten out. On the day of the trip it was chaotic trying to get everything in order and board the ship, once on the ship we noticed that our dining was moved from early to late which I specifically requested early because my mother and wife are diabetic and have to take their medication the same time each day or illness could occur. I waited on line for about 30-40 minutes to speak to the Maitre D' who had no sympathy to my family's needs and expressed it was not his fault but the agent I booked with in which I need to contact them there was noting he could do. After that my family went to our rooms to settle down a few minutes later the Captain called a mandatory drill so everyone had to grab a life vest and walk to the life boats many passengers was very angry and frustrated the crew was not very helpful and acted as if it was our fault for the drill. During the trip we had to eat in the buffet lounge so my wife and mother could stick to their medication schedule the buffet was not very sanitary and smelled funny, two days into the cruse my mother got really sick from the food and had to be rushed to the infirmary where she was given medication for vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps which is associated with unclean or contaminated foods for the buffet lounge. On the third day my wife got sick with the same symptoms that day she drank from a glass that had some type of mold in it that we did not notice until it was too late, I took the glass down to the service desk and showed it to one of the managers there who did not show any type of concern which left me baffled I also took pictures of the glass and will send it to Carnivals corporate office it is very shameful something like this can happen. Upon seeing the nurse my wife was given medication same as my mother (Promethazine, Loperamide, and Bentyl) they were both confined to their rooms because of the food poisoning and were not able to get out of bed for several days. On the last day both of them was supposed to have someone assist them off the boat with a wheel chair because their condition was so severe to our surprise the crew members could not find anyone to push a wheel chair out of the boat and we waited on the deck for more than an hour with a few other passengers that fell sick with the same symptoms. This trip was a horrible experience please if you are planning to travel give it a second though with this cruse line, Carnival use to be a good company now things have changed for the worst.

Pros: Day we were leaving

Cons: Bad service, Nasty Food, Unclean utensils, dining area smells.

Recommends Carnival Triumph? No.

The cruise Director George was very arrogant and obnoxious who tried to be funny and made jokes at the guest's expense which a few of them did not appreciate.
The food is plentiful but not sanitary please be careful, I had a piece of roast beef which was bloody and found their dishes to be dirty. In the dining area they had tea bag which was opened and everyone was breathing on it and touching it as they took a bag.
The rooms are not very clean in the bathroom the shower curtains are stained and the toilet smells like urine for the day we got there even after they cleaned.
The stateroom was very small and not very comfortable I spent a little more to upgrade to a balcony on the 8th floor and the TV was old and not functioning properly, the ship was supposed to have wireless internet service which it doesn't, and you can hear all the noise from the hall way as if everyone was walking through your room. We were not allowed to use the balcony on several days because maintainance was scheduled to be done according to the staff this is normal while they are sailing so we end up loosing out.
The cabin stewards was fine and so was the dining room waiters the one day we ate there, but in the Lido deck buffet area and service desk they are another story it seemed to be a burden for them to assist one guest that was in front of me got angry and walked off because of the bad service.