ANOTHER GREAT CARNIVAL CRUISE

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Contributor Level: Cruise Director

8 Night Southern Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)
Sail Date: April 08, 2016
Ship: Carnival Sunshine
Cabin Type: Suite

We drove from Madison, Ms. to Port Canaveral.  Stopped in Pensacola and spent the night and drove the remaining distance the next day.  Long but very easy drive. We checked in at the VIP lounge and were on the ship by 11:30am.  Embarkation very easy.  We had not been on the Sunshine since 2014 but it still looked great.  We had a Spa Suite (10107) and this is the one to get if you like the spa as my wife does.  We had a 40" TV. The elemis amenities are outstanding.  Our balcony was the size of a Grand Suite balcony. This cruise just happened to fall on our anniversary week.  We did not eat in the MDR this cruise (although the mdr food is very good).  We ate 3 nights in the steakhouse, 2 nights in the Italian restaurant and 2 nights at JiJi's.  We ate one night in the Lido. Food was to die for in all of the specialty restaurants.  Well worth the extra money.  We did not book any shore excursions this cruise.  We have been to all of the islands previously.  My wife went ashore at each port and shopped.  I did not get off of the ship.  This was my 84th cruise and my wife's 24th.  I just love being on the water and on this particular vacation just wanted to rest and relax before going home and back to work.  The Blue Iguana breakfast burrito's are the best thing going.  We spent a lot of time in the Havana Bar area.  At lunch the pasta bar and the Mongolian wok are in that room and free.  Our lead bartender, Remilo. was the best.   I was in the restaurant business for almost 30 years and would have stolen him in my day.  The Red Frog Rum Bar was also a very pleasant place to relax.  Debarkation was a bit slower than usual for two reasons.  First, because of a medical emergency and having to divert to Nassau, we got back to port late. Secondly, even though everyone knew where they were to go and wait to be called, many many people just crowded the stairs and hallways and were even rude about it.  I had read comments that Carnival had discontinued morning and evening room cleaning and you had to choose one or the other.  Our great room steward never mentioned this and our suite was taken care of twice a day. Overall this was one of our most memorable cruises.  We love Carnival AND the Sunshine.  Do not listen or take to heart the negative comments you read in a blog.  A CRUISE IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT.  If you look for something to complain about, you will find it.  Go with an open mind and I guarantee you will have a great vacation.

Beautiful, roomy suite. Plenty of closet space. Easy to navigate. Balcony double size.

The Sunshine is a 20 year old ship that was just renamed and upgraded 3 years ago and we are crazy about it. It is very easy to get around and we found it very clean. Go on a cruise with a positive attitude and you will have a blast.