Carnival Splendor Cruise Review to Mexico

not bad for first cruise

Sail Date: February 12, 2012

I think my expectations were a bit high after everyone told me how wonderful a cruise was. I had done the all inclusive resort thing before and loved that and was hoping this would be a similar experience. The sticker shock of the first day turned me off. Drinks were very pricy. I understand that a lot of money is made on alcohol but having to buy four beers instead of one or two was a bit much. Also the yoga and spin classes in the gym were up charges.

Dining was not bad - always plenty of food. I recommend going to the small food options (the deli and the indian counters specifically) instead of the buffet for lunch. Dinner in the main dining room was typically good. Had dinner in the steak house one night and that was very nice. Not fantastic, but worth the $30/person up charge over the regular dining.

The cruise spent two days in Cabo and only one day in Proto Vallarta. Would only do this cruise again if that was changed to 1 in cabo and 2 in Porto.

People were nice and friendly. Staff was attentive and professional. Met some interesting people that we'll hopefully stay in touch with.

Pros: attentive staff

Cons: constant up selling

Recommends Carnival Splendor? Yes!

huge ship - lots to explore. clean and tidy - somehow never seemed too crowded.
most of it was good. one fish dish was way over cooked but I had eaten just a bit before so I didn't bother asking for something else.
just fine. had one of the cheapest cabins on the lower level and it was just fine. plenty of closet space for the two of us and all our empty luggage tucked away under the bed
very friendly staff
I live in vegas so I'm quite spoiled on the entertainment....