Carnival Splendor Cruise Review to Mexico

bleh- not coming again

Sail Date: December 01, 2011

This cruise last 7 days and 6 nights. Of those 7 days, 5 of them are on the ship...not exactly what I would call traveling. The room we were given was nice, spacious and had a window. Too bad the walls are paper thin- you can hear your neighbors flush their toilets so you can just imagine how exciting it was to have about 7 obnoxious teenagers next door, hollering, banging things, throwing each other across the room, and shouting obscenities/profanity at ungodly hours of the morning. So naturally, guest services should have taken care of this but failed to do so after complaining to them. The food on the ship was mediocre. I actually may have lost weight because of the lackluster food. Seriously, some salt and pepper added to the food would have been nice. That being said, dinner every night was very nice, and I'd go so far as to say that dinner was the best thing about being on the physical ship.

Next, excursions are overpriced by about 4 times the amount you can get from on the shore. This is just a way for the cruise line to rip off customers so beware. Don't buy the excursions from the ship; check the vendors once you get off the ship. For example, the city tour of Puerto Vallatra was about $90 on the ship, my family and I paid $25 a person for a 5-6 hour tour with a private tour guide who took us to an authentic Mexican restaurant (best meal of the 7 days by far. Speaking of food, we maybe had one Mexican meal on the ship which is odd considering were going to MEXICO).

Moving right along, there was an awfully sad selection of things to do aboard the ship. If you're going to have your customers spend the majority of their time on a your ship, GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO DO. I spent about 70% of my time reading a book in my room because there was nothing better to do during the day. This is probably because the cruise does a bad job of gearing itself for its young adult customers traveling with family. The shows simply sucked.

Everything closed early too. The only food services that were 24 hours were pizza and burgers and for someone trying to be somewhat healthy, I often went to bed hungry or settled with feeling gross. You could also get room service but it takes a minimum of a half an hour to get whatever you ordered and then your food ends up tasting like a mixture of whatever else was in the refrigerator.

The staff on the cruise is completely overworked. They have to do so much and I don't think they get compensated enough by the way they deal with the customers. They seem rushed and merely looking forward to get the job done, instead of doing the job well.

This is not hard to tell but we are not coming back

Pros: my room and dinner

Cons: guest services

Recommends Carnival Splendor? No.