Carnival Splendor Cruise Review to Mexico

My First Cruise

Sail Date: September 01, 2011

This was my first cruise. We spend three days at sea and three days at port. We had a great time and I loved being able to escape the masses by finding the quietest bartender and seeking solace in my cabin.

Pros: The outstanding service by the staff.

Cons: The cheese, sounds trivial but good cheddar cheese would have increased the quality of the food

Recommends Carnival Splendor? Yes!

Dining was constant and varied. There were some outstanding items and some mediocre ones. I loved the "didya" variety on the menu, the opportunity to try new things. The waiters were always awesome. The only meal I felt could have been improved was breakfast. There were lots of options but as it's my main meal of the day, I spend a lot of time cooking for myself. On the ship, it was clearly secondary to the lunch and dinner options. And the dessert bar on the last day? to die for. Can you send me some banana fritters and vanilla sauce to the office now?
On purpose, I got lost a bunch because it was more fun to wander and discover than to actually read the map. I would have liked to have known before hand that the pools were salt water and it would have been nice to have a whirlpool that was actually hot.
I don't sit still very well and so picked the most active activities off ship that I could find. The offshore activities were okay. The staff was flexible with our changing schedules which was VERY helpful. On ship, I liked mini golf and the arcade. We also played in the adult arcade (aka casino) but honestly air hockey was more fun. The newlywed game, part 1, was hilarious.
Loved my room. Was way bigger than I had anticipated...I could even stretch out on the balcony.
The staff was well trained and knew when to be flexible with the regulations. They were never stuffy and always provided service above & beyond par.
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
I won't be going back here but I'm glad that I did it. It's certainly beautiful and rocky but way too touristy. The activities we picked were all so managed that we didn't really get a feel for the place.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Awesome. It's beautiful, laid back and the activities we selected took us out into the countryside. Exactly what I wanted.