Carnival Splendor Cruise Review to Mexico

Great Experience

Sail Date: January 01, 2010

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Overall, the ship was awesome... lots of food, daycare till 3am, you get what u pay for for the staterooms, esp if u get the cheapest one for a 4-person room. Staff is great for being overworked

Pros: LOTS of food selections, Puerto Vallarta & Cabo, Lots of Activities, late kid sitting, onboard liquor bottle sales

Cons: Slow Drain in my rm, SHORT cabo trip, automatic gratuity charge, prices for excursions & beverages, CRAMPED 4-ppl rm.

Recommends Carnival Splendor? Yes!

I went to another cruise 2yrs ago, and the ppl on that ship were TOO NICE! EVERYWHERE u went everyone would greet u! on this ship it wasnt quite like that. the ppl assigned to me were great! like our dining rm waiters n steward-they'd call u by name & be extra nice, but everywhere else, they'd jst look bland. IN DEFENSE of the employees tho, their employees are overworked! i'd see sm in the early morning, throughout the day, and then the same ones in the dining rm later on. i felt sorry 4 them. same for the mongolian bbq chef, he'd be there bbq'ing ALL DAY. kinda sad. so in result, they get O-K staff quality results.
I hate to be a poop about the room, but MY particular rm (2326) had a REALLY slow drain. I didnt find it unpleasant at first until I learned that I was the ONLY ONE who had it, my mom's rm n the outside deck bathrms didnt have that prob at all. Brushing ur teeth and washing ur face is just gross b/c u see the remnants for a long time b4 the drain clears, I complained twice, they sent a plumber twice, and nothing was fixed. I told the steward, n he knew about it already but couldnt do much about it. so that rm jst has a slow sink drain, the shower drain was slow at 1st but i think they fixed it. bathrm is SMALL but that's normal 4 the price i pd. the cheapest 4 person rm is really not worth it. jst upgrade to something bigger. we were cramped inside. it was 1 queen bd n two twin bunks that fold up. barely enough space to change or jst relax.
It's a pretty big ship... It takes a while to really find everything and experience everything the ship has to offer. I hear there were about 3400 ppl onboard and I'm not sure if all the rooms were filled up, decor is new, i hear it's a new ship. Ship is definitely clean.
Has 24hr pizza, tea, coffee, frozen yogurt. During the day running till late there are LOTS of food selections! if ur a heavy eater, you will NOT be disappointed! burrito bar, rotisserie section, mongolian bbq where they cook the food in front of u, breakfast bar till 11 or 12, YUMMY eggs benedict, good selection for the health concious, and diabetic, LOTS of dessert choices as well. Orange juice (am only) is free, lemonade is served all day along w/tea and coffee. Unlimited soda is $6/pp, per day for adults, close to $5 for children and you get a cute souvenir cup... I hear ppl just purchase one cup per family tho so that's cool, plus I made friends w/a bartender there, and she was the one who told me that, and they don't really care if that's the case. Bottomline, you will NOT be disappointed w/the food selection they have. they just have too much food! if you think you've seen all the food, walk around more! they also have american food, and mediterranean n a sushi bar fr 5-8:15
OODLES of activities! Late night club, casino, singles meet & greet, men's hairy chest contest, bingo, shows, games... just LOTS! You won't be disappointed!
Staff attitude could use some work, but I guess working w/that many kids you can't ask for too much. I'm hoping they're better w/the children than the parents. The sitting goes from early morning till 3am! That's super cool! it's complimentary till 10pm and btwn 10pm and 3am it's $1.50 per 15 min that passes. but they say $6 per hour, which is true, but it's really $1.50 per 15 min. That upset me b/c they didn't say that in the orientation, so of course on the 1st day I used up the hour he was there, but they ended up charging me $3 for the extra 1/2 hr he was there or something like that. Plus, that's what it said on my receipt. Oh, they also have gaps in btwn so they can get ready for dinner n stuff like that. they also have some programs where u have to pay for the items, which i think is kinda lame. like their build-a-bear, or pictures... i didnt have to pay for that stuff at the other cruise i went to, n my son came hm w/lots of stuff.