Carnival Splendor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Worst cruise line in business today

Sail Date: July 01, 2007

Carnival is really going downhill. I have cruised with them 9 times over the past 12 years on a number of their ships and the quality of the food; customer service; cabins has deteriorated to such a point that I do not want to cruise with them again.

This review was meant for the Carnival Conquest, but couldn't find it.

Pros: Dining and cabin staff was excellent

Cons: Worn out beds; cheated me out of money; indifference toward passengers

Recommends Carnival Splendor? No.

Dining room was clean; all other public dining areas were constantly filthy. Several times throughout the cruise key outdoor ares such as the jogging track were roped of for hours at a time so that the crew could paint, clean, fix, whatever; a real pain especially when you want to spend time on deck and can't.
Food is really bad. Go to your local chinese all you can eat buffet and that's what you get. Dining room food has it's moments, but even here quality has really slipped.
Horrible; I paid a lot of money for a balcony suite and always do; the mattresses were completely worn out, ever seen a sway back horse? That was our mattress. They could/would not replace it for us. Bathroom flooded with every shower. Curtains were literally bobby pinned up and fell when opening to look out over the balcony.
Pursor and excursion desk personnel were incredibly rude as was almost everyone "not" working in the dining room or cabins. At one point I got so frustrated with the excursion desk "loser" that I almost pulled him out from behind the desk. No human being deserves to be treated so rudely. I was simply trying to explain that I deserved a refund for an excursion that did not happen, makes sense right? Not to this dimwit (I have never received reimbursement). I haven't even received a reply from Carnival, only $200, but it's the principal of the thing. Don't cruise on Carnival unless you have very low expectations, you will be sorry. I have cruised several other lines and have yet to have a bad experience.
Enjoyed the shows in the lounge; they ruined the Texas Hold'em by replacing real chips, cards and dealer with a video version. In all the trips I have made it has been very difficult to get a seat at the Hold'em table. I have had to put my name on the list and wait for it to be called, sometimes for hours. But that is not a problem just a note to say, very few people liked the new video version, multiple seats were always open at all hours of the day.
Do not pay the high dollar for the excursions. You can and will do better on your own. Don't be scared by the line that you might miss the boat. If your are just somewhat careful that won't happen, very small chance, unless you get mind boggling drunk of course. Don't bother to get off the boat in Jamaica (that's where I got cheated on the excursion) and it is dangerous, the natives will even tell you so.