Carnival Spirit Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Awesome Alaska cruise

Sail Date: July 01, 2012

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Overall, loved the boat and loved the Alaska cruise. Sure was great to get out of the Georgia July heat for a couple of weeks! One of the best trips of my life! I liked that there were many places to go to view scenery and wildlife on the top decks....both under cover on the Lido deck, and up above on the Sky/Sun/Sports decks. Also on deck 3. Many, many postiitve aspects of the boat. I liked the decor throughout (other than the art between cabins and in some public areas that I don't think children should be seeing) and liked the design of the ship. Food, cabins, kids activities, adult activities were great as well.

Pros: Scenery, Nature, Cabins, Deck Space, Naturalist, Steakhouse, Dining Room, Kids Programs

Cons: Lido Buffet restaurant seating; some artwork not family-friendly

Recommends Carnival Spirit? Yes!

I liked the medium-sized Spirit. 2500 or so passengers but it rarely felt crowded (only at the Lido buffet during breakfast or lunch when trying to find a table.) I thought it was easy to get around on the ship once I figured out favorite pathways (for instance I'd often use deck 3's outside walkway if I needed to get from one end to the other, since it's an excuse to get outside and enjoy the weather and scenery.) All public areas were clean and new-looking. Liked the variety of decors.
I enjoyed every meal and dessert I had, especially meals in the main dining room. In the MDR, loved the various meats and sauces (e.g. brisket, ribs, filet mignon), the bowtie chicken pasta dish, the salads and fresh fruit, and the desserts. Perhaps a few more choices for dessert would've been nice, but I always managed to find something to enjoy. Quality of buffet food on Lido deck was good, usually opted for the Chopsticks Asian selections for lunch, and very much enjoyed a few of the meat selections during the day when the Caribbean food was served at Taste of Nations. French fries weren't very good but that's about it for complaints. Breakfast was good, especially the omelet station. Had one breakfast and one lunch in the MDR and both were fantastic. Had one dinner in the Steakhouse (date night with my wife) and it was especially awesome....french onion soup, spinach salad, dinner rolls, ny strip steak and the chocolate sampler for dessert were all very very tasty.
Cabins were comfortable, making good use of the space. (Had one extended balcony cabin and one interior cabin for my family of four.) Beds very comfortable. Room temperature was always comfortable to me. We were on deck 6 just forward of the aft elevators. Very convenient to dining and to getting to deck 3 or 9 outboard viewing.
Very happy with cabin stewards and with dining room staff. Very friendly and I liked that Yuda knew my daughter's name and jovially greeted her whenever he saw her. He made some wonderful towel critters for her. Bagus was our other steward and took good care of our cabin. Always had fresh ice and upkeep of towels and linens, no problems. Wait staff in dining room very attentive and enjoyed that they pulled my daughter into a couple of their dance numbers....!
Shows were overall so-so. Liked the Blues Brothers tribute the best. The New Orleans show was ok but not really my thing, but I could appreciate the effort, costumes, etc, and thought Janae was very talented. One comedian (John DiCrosta) was very funny, but the rest were hacks (Jerome, Doug Williams, some other guy), and one common theme of Jerome and Doug during the so-called family-friendly comedy was "life was so much better years ago when adults would beat their kids." I didn't like this at all.
Loved the trivia contests, ping pong tourney, bean bag contest, ice sculpture demo, and naturalist presentations, which all help pull the rating up to "Excellent." The naturalist was very informative and spot-on in giving a heads up for humpback whale sightings and seeing a rare summertime display of the Northern Lights. Overall, a GREAT time.
(Just find some better comedians....!)
My 6-year-old daughter absolutely loved Camp Carnival. We didn't let her stay there past 10pm but she always wanted to. It seemed like they had a great variety of activities for her age group and she liked all of them. My 13-year-old son had a good time in Circle C, and I think things worked out well for him. He especially enjoyed learning to make towel animals, and spent a couple of hours after that activity working on making towel animals in our cabin for his sister, and eventually bought the Carnival book that shows how to make like 60 animals. It was good for all of us that we could have the kids do their stuff for a few hours each day...made them happy, made my wife and I happy.