Carnival Spirit Cruise Review to Mexico

My 3rd cruise not the charmer, but good

Sail Date: January 01, 2010

This ship was interesting as were the first two I cruised on. Each had a different layout, but this one had me a bit turned around as the atrium was closer to aft than forward, opposite of my first two cruises. That provided a bit of interest. Otherwise, this was the least interesting ship for the oddest of reasons: It is too efficient and well laid out. Only one main dining room, only one area for alternative dining (except the one supper club), only one shopping area, too few nooks and crannies to explore. Maybe I am just getting to be a more experienced cruiser, but I think the Spirit could do with more mystery and charm.

Pros: Itinerary, indoor whirlpool, dining room service and housekeeping

Cons: the food in the dining room was the worst I've had on a cruise

Recommends Carnival Spirit? Yes!

After seeing the first show with the dancers, I knew this wasn't for me. One of the comedians was okay. Among the scheduled activities, one looked interesting enough to draw my attendance. I lost interest in about 10 minutes.
Ate mostly in main dining for dinner. Shoe leather was trotted out as Chateaubriand. As for alternatives, sushi was hard to catch and was fishy with hardly a bit of fish in it. I cannot believe that this ships food was so terrible when the Carnival Elation I sailed 16 months earlier was actually quite good. The only saving grace was the 24 hr pizza, which just filled the hole, hardly good.
Quite functional with very comfortable bed and pillows. TV was a joke with no DVD player. Balcony door could not be latched open like on the NCL Sun, a bit of a disappointment. Shower pressure and temperature regulation only fair.
A bit too well laid out to be a place to explore.
Our dining room server was exceptional and offered when to avoid the fish. Housekeeping always greeted us. Overall, very friendly service except in the Lido dining areas.