Would Recommend

Carnival Sensation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 2-3 cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Sensation

5 Night Eastern Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: January 27, 2020

Ship: Carnival Sensation

Cabin type: Oceanview

Cabin number: M73

Traveled as: Singles/Friends

Review summary

Overall, I enjoyed my cruise. I have been on Carnival before, so had a certain expectation. Will visit Grand Turk again, will never return to the Dominican Republic.

Embarkation

We arrived early, and were still boarded in an appropriate amount of time. It was frustrating, however, to have to wait for our room. Rooms should have been available once people were allowed to board the ship. We had to sit and wait with our suitcases which was less than pleasant.

Ship experiences

Food was decent- not great, but not terrible. Some things were better than others. Service was wonderful and dining rooms were always kept clean. Bartenders were great.

I wish there were more pools and hot tubs. Most of the time, they were filled. The 21+ lounge should have been bigger. Wish there would have been more adult entertainment (i.e. comedians) and weren't so late. The comedians were funny though, and staff was accommodating. Good amount of bars. Nice casino.

Comedians were great, just wish the shows (that were rated R) weren't so late (11:30pm). Music on the lido deck was too loud to enjoy. But music choices were great. Wish there would have been a bit more entertainment.

Did not have children onboard with us.

Every single person I encountered was kind and smiling. From the waitstaff, to housekeeping, bartenders, nurses, doctor, room service... The only person that I encountered that was less than pleasant was guest services. Housekeeping always recognized me and said hi and asked how I was BY NAME. Bartenders as well. I saw the doctor onboard and two days later I went to get more medicine and the nurse recognized me and asked how I was doing. Overall (I won't let guest services cloud my judgement) the staff made my experience that much better. Seriously.

I wish there would have been a better selection/more stores, but the ones I did see were very small but yet clean and stocked.

Could have been a little bigger, but it worked! It was clean, the shower was great, and beds/pillows were amazingly comfortable. I slept better on my trip than I have in my own bed!

Ship tip

The drink package is worth it (CHEERS)!

Ports of call

Miami, Florida Did not visit port

No interest.

Grand Turk Island

No excursion, but it was insanely beautiful. I WILL travel here again!

Amber Cove (Puerto Plata), Dominican Republic

The port was fine- no nice sandy beaches like Grand Turk, but it was clean with nice shops. Our excursion was HORRID. Will not return here!

Disembarkation

Very minimal communication about disembarkation. Every single person we ran into/talked to had no idea where to go, when were we supposed to get off, did we have to go to level 9 or 10?? No idea. Very confusing.