Horrible Cruise Line

Carnival Sensation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Carnival Sensation

5 Night Eastern Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: December 21, 2019

Ship: Carnival Sensation

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: M122

Traveled as: Large Group

Review summary

To summarize, please just choose to spend your hard earned money somewhere else. You will not regret choosing a different line. I promise. I have been on 5 Carnival cruises and they just continue to get worse. Don’t make my mistakes.

Embarkation

We had a double wedding going on on this cruise and when we embarked they sent us to this little room for a meeting and then no one showed up from Carnival for this meeting.

Ship experiences

The buffet was not good. Something you would expect at your neighbor good diner, not a cruise ship. The “fancy” dinner was even worse. The choices were very limited and many items were repeated each night and there is only one dining room you can go to that is included unless you spend more money, unlike Norwegian which has many dining rooms that are included in what you already paid as well as options that cost more. And if you have any kind of food allergy do not expect to have them make you something different when all of their items are covered in dairy. They were very unwilling to provide customers with food they could eat.

The pools are ALWAYS filled with screaming kids and they only place to get in the water are two over heated hot tubs in the 21&over area which are filled with all the adults not wanting to deal with the kids. The only way to have nice pool/water time is to go when everyone else is on the island for that day which means you have to stay on the ship or come back early.

There are typically good shows and comedians on these ships. The love and marriage show is great one.

We signed our kid up for the program and when we took him there the one time we took him there they said we had to be back in 30 minutes because the ship wasn’t going to be docking on the island it was supposed to be docking on and so everyone had to stay on board and so there would be no childcare that day. Which makes absolutely no sense.

I would give a 5 star review here for the room stewards and the waiters for dinner If they were the only people being addressed. They were so friendly and accommodating and just fun in general. Our room steward was always first to say good morning and good night and how are you in passing and always had a smile on his face even though I’m sure cleaning those rooms is not the highlight of his day you wouldn’t know it from his great attitude. The waiters at dinner are hilarious and try to accommodate as best they can, but they can’t help with food allergies when the chef and the hostess are there telling you that they will not make anything else for you. The people at guest services were a joke and the line was always so long and there were 4 desks for them to take customers and they only operated one most of the time.

The ship (Sensation) wasn’t horribly dirty but it is a very old ship and needs updating. It has a weird smell about it that was not appreciated but you could tell that they do clean it as there wasn’t dust and dirt gathered all over the place.

Not worth what we paid for it. You can pay the same price on Norwegian and get a better room. I think it comes down to how old the Sensation it is. I was on that exact ship 10 years ago and even then it was not as great as Norwegian. I keep mentioning Norwegian because that is the only other line I have cruised with, not because I am some kind of spy that works for them. I’m just a regular person who knows quality when they see it and Norwegian is worth every penny.

Ship tip

If you’re going to sail Carnival, do yourself a favor and sail on a different ship at least.

Ports of call

Grand Turk Island

Very beautiful, and the people were friendly and accommodating.

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island) Did not visit port

The weather was too bad apparently so they kept us packed on the ship like sardines with nothing to do. It was an awful time.

Nassau is always beautiful with plenty to do, but the way people try to get you to buy stuff from them gets irritating. And they beat their kids out in the open. And I’m talking how you would beat a stray dog that was after your toddler, not just spanking. And it’s sad.

Disembarkation

We chose to take our bags with us and were off of that horror ship in a pretty quick fashion.