Carnival Sensation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Sail Date: May 07, 2015

Cabin: U-118

What a poor experience we had on this ship.  First of all, the ship is aged, old and not very well kept up.  Nearly every rest room was old, small and had a unpleasant smell.  Our cabin was so so but the AC never worked correctly.  We called to have it fixed and they were supposed to fix it while we were out and about and hours later we came back and it was never fixed.  Very warm in our cabin.  Called to question it and a gentleman came down with a hand held temp gauge and stated that the temp was 70 and acceptable to their standards.  I asked him to place his hand near the AC and notice little to no air flow.  Let's put it this way, had I had a match, it would not have blown out the flame.  His solution, a small 10 inch fan.  My wife was cool for the next 2 nights of our cruise. Me, not so much.  We had two other cabins in our group and both were very similar to ours. One they were able to get the AC working better the other they just dealt with it.  Phones in all rooms were 70% static for all calls.

Two days before we were to return to Port, I purchased a watch from the jewelry store.  The watch had to be sized (she measured my wrist and indicated how many links I needed removed) and they asked me to come back the next day (Saturday-Fun day at sea) after 2.  We were by the store at about 10 am and I popped in to see if by chance it was ready.  The gentleman said it was, and opened a lower cabinet to get my watch and it was not there.  He said, are you sure you left it to be sized, which of course after a puzzled look said YES! So he looked in a few more places to no avail.  He asked me to come back after 2 and they will find it.  Fast forward a few hours and I returned at about 230 and they gentleman I was talking to in the morning was not there, so I talked to another person when the lady that sold it to me came in and said she was sorry that she put it away in another box. She went on to tell me she has already looked in 3 bins and it was no there.  She then asked me to come back between 10 and 11 Saturday night to pick it up.  I informed her we had a early morning and that I would be in bed by that time. She then told me that she was busy setting up for another event outside the jewelry store and she would look for my watch when she had time.  I politely indicated to her that she said the watch would be ready to pick up right now and that a novel idea would be to stop what she was doing and find my watch.  After basically arguing with me another gentlemen stepped in and said my idea was good and that they would do that. I told them we were about to go to a show and I would return afterwards.  The show lasted about 1 hour and when I returned they had found my watch, but it still not sized.  The gentleman did it fairly fast, but had to wait even longer.. Ugh....

We were traveling with other family members, so there were 6 of us total for dinners.  Out of the three dinners, we only really had one good to excellent server and that was on the first night. It was down hill from there.  The second night was the captains dinner and we were seated near the front. After about 6-10 minutes my wife had to ask for menus.  In addition there was something going out outside the Fantasy dinner area a deck below that was soooo loud that we could not even hear one another talk the entire service. Not a very good way to enjoy a nice elegant meal with everyone dressed to the 9's.  Brunch the next morning we were seated (only 5 came to brunch) and then about 5 minutes later a couple of 2 were seated next to us.  The server gave them menus and served them beverages before even coming to our table. Each meal that steak was available (dinners and brunch), my brother in law wants well done meat (and purchased two steak meals) and not a single time was the steak well done. The last one he purchased he sent back. It's one thing to complain about normal menu items, but when your dropping 20 bucks on a steak, you want it the way you like it.

Lastly, we were traveling with my 75 year old mother. We had made arrangements and paid for them to have a wheelchair in her cabin when we arrive, which was there and was actually quite nice (she is not wheel chair bound, but can not walk up stairs very well nor walk long distances.  Two knees and hip replaced).  However, the many of the steward carts were so large that the wheel chair barely fit by it (rubbing). The day before we were to return to Port we went down to Guest Services and spoke with Antone about getting off the ship the next day with my mother and family as they had a early flight at 11am.  He talked with someone and made arrangements to have someone at my mothers cabin at 715 and take us all to the Oak room (library) then to debark. We were all together at about 7am, then  730 comes around and no one, I call guest services and no one answers, I called three times, no answer. I found a steward and he called and was able to get someone to call the cabin.  They sent someone down (a waitress) with a overly large wheelchair.  She took us to the Oak room but not before running into multiple walls and carts along the way.  She asked my mother to sit in one of the chairs in the Oak room and someone would be there shortly to help us debark (we had faster to the fun passes as well). 745 comes around, no one.  8 comes around no one.  I go and find someone who calls a guest services asst manager, Marusa, whom comes up and tells us someone is on their way with a wheelchair to pick up my mother and take us off, then 5 minutes later another person named Estee comes in and says someone is on their way in 15 minutes.  At the point I ask "Is someone coming in 15 minutes or are they on their way like Marusa indicated?  He again said 15 minutes.  So at about 8:18 I go and find Estee by the elevators and ask him if his country has a different meaning for 15 minutes than ours as its going on 20 minutes and no one. He radios some people and at about 845-850 we finally were able to debark the ship.

Overall my experience on this ship was terrible.  The only saving grace was the opportunity to see my family.

Like many Carnival ships I've been on, the buffets close at ODD early times. Why not have the burger joint open until 8pm?  The pools close early as does the kids water area. Early meaning 6 or 7 for the kids area and larger pools 11 or 12.

I will never cruise on this ship again.

Old, not well maintained. Air did not work in Cabin, bathrooms were smelly.
Typically cruise food.
Tough nights without AC or airflow.
We had a few that were great, most were so so.
Very good shows.
Port Canaveral, Florida
Easy in and out. Use close by place to park. Hotels have options for cheap.
Do the Historical tour. Very cool to learn about the island and culture.

Bring your own fan for your cabin.