Carnival Sensation Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

A "bummer" of a cruise

Sail Date: April 01, 2009

It seemed that the Sensation was still undergoing modifications and updates. Rather than complete the planned retrofit and then, and only then, place the ship back into service, the ship was pressed back into service before it was totally ready. Some of the items I observed:

* The weather striping and molding on the cabin window and balcony door was missing and installed during the cruise.

* Berth accommodations in the cabin had been changed from two uppers and two lowers to one double. This allowed for the addition of a balcony door. But it also placed the bed across almost the entire width of the cabin and left the two Pullman berths taking up space at the foot and head of the bed. This created a low ledge overhanging the head of the bed (the one Pullman berth) that caused me to hit my head a number of times. It was necessary to turn sideways to get between the bottom of the bed and the wall (contain the other Pullman berth) to reach the balcony.

* One of the hanging closets was rendered useless for my use; it was filled with two Pullmans ladders.

* The Public Address speaker in my cabin did not work. The only way I could hear any announcements was to open the door to the hall.

* Several of the draws in the dressing table would stick and I could not open and use them.

* There was no thermostat in the cabin. It was possible to regulate the amount of air flowing from the single overhead vent; but not the temperature of the air.

All in all this was the worst cabin I have ever been assigned. On this same ship, the Sensation, I have occupied a class 1A cabin (the cheapest inside and therefore the cheapest cabin on the ship); two different types class 4 (inside) cabins; and a class 6 (outside) cabin. This was without a doubt the most cramped and least pleasant cabin of them all.

As far as I'm concerned this was a "Bummer" of a cruise. I'm DID NOT enjoy myself the way I normally do on a cruise. I requested a cabin located midships and was put in the back of the ship (by Carnival). I ask for first sitting for dinner, and got the second sitting (by Carnival). I tried to get the sitting changed (by Carnival). It was changed, alright(by Carnival). To the first sitting but also to the other dining room. So I wound up with my cabin almost in the stern of the ship and eating in the forward dining room.

Pros: The crew and staff were outstanding.

Cons: The attitude of the management of the cruise line.

Recommends Carnival Sensation? No.